Why You Should Care About Geography

When examining the geography of a place, the absolute location of that place is its exact coordinates. Most of the people of the world have heard of Japan, but not many recognize a lot about it. Japan’s largest city, Tokyo, is located at 35°41′N 139°46′E. Relatively, Japan is an island nation in the Pacific Ocean. It is off the coast of Mainland Asia.

To unite and connect Japan with diverse countries, Japan is the 4th largest importer and 4th largest exporter of goods in the world. This means plenty of the goods and services we value may come from Japan.

Fun facts:
Japan enjoys a sum of 6,852 islands!
Japan has 108 active volcanoes!

The scenery of Japan is exceedingly curious. About 73 percent of Japan is forest and mountains. It is not appropriate for agricultural, industrial, or residential usage. Because of this, most individuals live mainly in the coastal zones, which have remarkably large population densities. “Japan is one of the most densely populated countries in the world.” (World Population Prospects, 2007)

The climate in Japan is mixed depending on specific location. It is predominantly pleasant, but it does present both subtropical and tropical areas. “The average winter temperature in Japan is 5.1 °C (41.2 °F) and the average summer temperature is 25.2 °C (77.4 °F).” (Climate, 2017)

Although any country or locality is going to have immigration and migration, most of Japan is Japanese individuals. The CIA World Factbook says, “More than 99 percent of the population speaks Japanese as their first language.” This demonstrates that most the country is of Japanese lineage.

Regarding religion, Japan has permitted its citizens full religious freedom in its constitution. This means that the individuals of Japan can adhere to whatever religion they would prefer or no religion at all. Ironically enough, A View of Religion in Japan says, "a clear majority (80%-90%) of the population follow Shinto, an indigenous religion."

Rather than permitting the whole country under one President, Monarch, or Prime Minister, Japan has preferred to isolate by section. The population density of each territory of Japan is illustrated in the accompanying map which displays the 47 prefectures, or regions, within Japan. Each is colored a significant color and is run by its own governor!

So, you might be asking: why should any of this matter? The answer is that learning about the places in the world and their geography in relation to ideas, culture, religion, and overall life is important. They help us to shape our worldview and give us an anchor for our own beliefs.

As people, we should unite together to learn all we can about the diverse ways of life we have adopted throughout the world. We can make the whole world an inclusive and welcoming place.