Our Generation Needs A Reality Check

Our Generation Needs A Reality Check

The world is not filled with safe spaces.

86
Our Generation Needs A Reality Check
Twitchy

On June 6, 1944 soldiers stormed the beaches of Normandy to fight for our freedom as American citizens. Many of these soldiers were young but they knew that there was a job to get done and people to protect. These soldiers put their fear aside and to fight for us. Soldiers were wounded or died that day. Families lost their children, siblings, or spouse. These brave soldiers were the heroes of the greatest generation. They weren’t sitting around campus demanding safe spaces. They weren’t complaining about something that offended them. They did not disrespect others or our country. They absolutely did not refuse to do something just because they did not feel like it. They did what was needed to do and did it with respect. How would our generation react if we were force to go to war?

Millennials have grown up to believe that the world is full of safe spaces. That simply if something someone says offends you, you can sue or publicly humiliate them. College students have demanded to have safe spaces throughout the campus to go to just incase they feel like words are damaging their life. There is no room for different opinions when it comes to talking to a millennial either, it is their opinion or you’re attacking them personally. A simple joke in today’s generation can be blown out of proportion and land on the local news. Leaving the person that made the joke having to apologize publicly for nothing. Millennials feel the need and that it is Ok to disrespect our parents or simply not say "thank you" or "you’re welcome". Why is it that were are constantly walking on eggshells with each other? Why can’t we have different opinions? Why are so offended by words to the point that we are emotionally unstable? Why do we lack manners or respect? Our elders, or even grandparents, did not fight a war at the same age that we are today so we can have safe spaces.

Our generation needs a reality check. The world is not filled with safe spaces. Your boss isn’t going to be super nice to you because you emotionally cannot take criticism. Your co-worker is not going to watch what he jokes about because it might offend you. The world wants people that can pick up their heads from their phone and do something. They want people that can respect others but also ignore the people that are not respectful. They want all different opinions not just your own. I do not want to apologize anymore for what I believe in or what I make a joke about. This is reality, you might want a cup of it.

The next time you find yourself needing a safe space from harsh words because its just too hard for you to listen to. Remember that our veterans did not have a safe space when they were being shot at or attacked. Put some things in perspective, it might show you that words do not hurt. They can simply be ignored. So come on Millennials, we are stronger than this, we are the future to this world. We need it to make it bright.