Balls Out For Women's Soccer

Balls Out For Women's Soccer

The United States Women National Team for soccer deserves more than what they're getting and here's why.

13
Bustle

Despite the fact that women make up half of the work force, most of the time women will only be paid 80 cents for every $1 a man earns. That is a 20 percent gender wage gap with no logical explanation behind it.

Not only is this an issue in the work force, it is also prevalent in sports, specifically soccer. The U.S. Women's National Team (USWNT) has won three World Cups since 1992 while the U.S. Men's National Team (USMNT) hasn't even made it into the quarterfinals. However, the USMNT are paid $263,320 for winning 20 matches, and $100,000 if they happen to lose all 20 matches. The USWNT are paid $99,000 if they win all 20 matches, and nothing if they lose. Men are paid anywhere from $5,000-$17,625 for any additional matches while women are paid nothing. Shocker. Below is a satirical video of three women from the USWNT and their opinion on the wage gap.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/wg1gm6/the-daily-sho...

Back in July of 2015, the USWNT game against Japan for the world cup was the most watched match in soccer history - for both men and women. With over 25.4 million viewers, the women brought in a huge revenue and a world cup.

But that still isn't enough. How long will women have to prove that they are deserving of equal pay? Since when was that asking for too much? Why are we still having to fight for something that could easily be solved? It is an issue that outrages women everywhere, and rightfully so. It is time for change, and a pay raise. Tune in next week for a rant on the complications of maternity leave.