Will We See a Dynasty Cemented?

Will We See a Dynasty Cemented?

Who will win? Only time will tell

3
Will We See a Dynasty Cemented?
Flickr

There is one meeting of two teams which is one of the largest sporting events of the first part of the year, with the hype, the stars, the teams, and the commercials leading up to American football's biggest game on the grandest stage. This year, 2017, will mark 50 years since the very first "big game" which in 1967 was named the AFL-NFL World Championship Game, the words "the big game" and the "title game" were used and have been used ever since, albeit last year's game was the only game to date that did not use the traditional Roman numerals as officials told reporters that it was the game's golden anniversary and that they felt the marketing abilities for such a title would not be there nor would it be very attractive.

I want to touch on a few points that show the difference between the first game which took place in 1967 and this year's game, as well as potential matchups and what each team brings to the table because only two can make it to the big game, and just one can come out victorious. So, without further adieu, here are some tidbits showing the difference:

Gas price in 1967: $0.33

Median income: $7,143

US Population: 198 million

The average price of a 1967 title game ticket: $12

Fast forward to 2017

Gas price in 2017: $2.31

Median income: $55,775

US Population: 324 million

The average price of a title game ticket this year: $3,500

With the conclusion of the beatdown in the Packers-Falcons game as well as the Patriots-Steelers game, the stage is set for the 50th anniversary of the first "big game", played on January 15th, 1967 between the Packers and the Chiefs. While that would have been a good matchup, alas, it is the Patriots versus the Falcons.

What is at stake for the Patriots: The Patriots have been nothing shy of a dynasty between 2001 (when they drafted Brady in the 6th round, 199th overall and 2016 when Brady was handed a 4-game suspension for his role in the Deflategate scandal). The Patriots have won 4 titles, lost 4, and have made 9 total appearances, the last coming this year against Atlanta. If New England wins, I feel the Patriots will cement their legacy as the greatest NFL dynasty of all-time, if not up there with the 1970s Steelers or the 1980s 49ers teams.

What is at stake for the Falcons: The Falcons have either been a good team or a joke, season after season, with their last title appearance coming in 1998 versus the Denver Broncos who were led by Terrell Davis and future Hall of Famer John Elway. The Falcons were down 27-20 and all the Vikings needed to get was a field goal to put away the game, which the kicker Gary Andersen shanked. Thus, the Falcons went down the field, scored a touchdown to tie it, followed by the game-winning field goal in overtime. This sent them to their first title in franchise history, although they lost to Elway's Broncos. If the Falcons can win next week Sunday, they will secure their first victory in the big game.

In the end, I personally am rooting for the Falcons for an NFC victory, though I believe it will be close. My prediction will be 35-28 or potentially 38-35, with this being the first title game that could go into overtime.