It’s Love Season! Showing Love For Your Besties, Your Bae, And Most Importantly Yourself

In a month full of romance, it’s nice to take time to appreciate the other kinds of love too.

1217
@jadynmariehicks / Instagram

It’s that time again. Considering my favorite color is pink and I love anything with hearts on it, Valentine’s Day might be one of my favorite holidays. Having someone to show your appreciation for is amazing too and I love sending my significant other gifts that show my appreciation for him and our relationship throughout our years together! However, the fact that we’ve been long-distance throughout college certainly makes the holiday tough, especially when I see couples going on cute dates and strolling around campus. For the past few years, I’ve been able to show off my love language of gift-giving (shoutout to international shipping) and even more so, appreciate time with my besties and myself.

Although it may be on the back burner during Valentine's Day, platonic relationships and love are so important. They can create a sense of belonging, teach us about communication and compromise, lower our stress, and increase our resilience. Being able to take time to appreciate the relationship that you have with your friends can be a great moment of reflection, thinking about when you became friends and where you are now! A way you can celebrate that friendship and appreciation is through Galentine’s or Malentine’s. Now - this can be as simple as vegging out and watching a rom-com or as complex as planning a day out on the town together. But regardless, even if you and your besties are in romantic relationships of your own, spending quality time with your friends during this season is a great way to show the gratitude and love that you have for them!

Also very important is showing love for yourself. As college students like myself are settling back into their semester routine after winter break, they may be putting their self-care practices on the back burner. Trust me, only focusing on academics, clubs, and work responsibilities instead of taking time for yourself will be rough. So, this February, be sure to make time for yourself. Take yourself out on a date! Buy yourself a sweet treat! Get yourself a gift! Because you deserve it. This season, show appreciation for yourself as well and all the things you love about yourself, whether it be your passions, your skills, or your favorite activities.

Need some gift ideas for your partner, your friend, or yourself this Valentine’s Day? Check out some of my previous articles:

8 Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas For Your Long-Distance Partner

The Best Gift Ideas To Get Your Partner This Valentine’s Day