For The Single Girls On Valentine's Day

For The Single Girls On Valentine's Day

"All the single ladies, all the single ladies!"

19
For The Single Girls On Valentine's Day
@FearlessLove318

It's that time of year again. Red and pink cartoon hearts seem to be decorating every store and social media feed. 'Tis the season that singles - like myself- are prone to bitterness. And there seems to be two kinds of single people on Valentine's Day:

The Hopeful: The one who is waiting around from February 1st to February 15th wishing for a secret admirer to come true. I've been this person.

The Scrooge: Screams "bah-humbug" at anything hinting to couples, romance, love, relationships... This person thinks that Valentine's Day is absurd, and criticizes both couples and the hopefuls alike.

I'm going to provide you with another option, and while this is not new, it certainly doesn't get enough representation in entertainment and media.

Self love.

I'm not talking about full on narcissism or anything like that, but I feel like this holiday can make us singles feel like we need another human being to make us complete or to give us a reason to celebrate. Guess what? You don't need anyone else! Valentine's Day is not as exclusive as it appears to be. There are a lot of wonderful ways to treat yourself this year, below are some options of fun things to do either by yourself or with a group of friends.

Solo:

-Spa Night. Splurge on a bath bomb from Lush. Fill up the tub, put on a calm playlist, or read, or watch Netflix on your phone. Take a while to relax into bliss.

- Drive. Pack up your dog if you have one, some snacks and go for a drive to the coast or the forest. Spend the day on the road and have lunch in a new surrounding. Take pictures, draw. Write down beautiful things you see. Here are some tips on how to make it a multiple day trip.

- Cook. Who says that you need to have someone else to cook for? You need to eat too, don't you? Get on Pinterest and pull up some of those recipes you always wanted to try. If the meal serves multiple people, don't worry! Consider it meal prep. Now you've learned a new dish, ate some bomb food, and you're on top of your game by having meals prepared for the rest of your week. I call that a Valentine's Day win.

With Friends:

- Nails. I know, so cliche, right? But getting a mani/pedi does wonders for my mood. I feel like this is always more fun to do with a friend. If you don't want to get your nails done, then go get your hair spoiled. Maybe a deep conditioning treatment?

- Movie. Again, obvious of me. But there's some really good movies out! If La La Land is still playing near you, and you haven't seen it yet, seriously... go watch it. (Here's Why!) Also, you can spend an evening at the theatre. Go support local community theatres and see what plays are going on. Even if you've never heard of the show before, going to the theatre is a wonderful experience.

- Anything you want. Provided it's legal and safe... You can think of Valentine's Day as just another meaningless day, or you can put too much emphasis on fantasy that you lose yourself in it. I like to think that everyday and everyone is worth celebrating. Don't be afraid to show yourself a little love this Valentine's Day. You're worth it.