Fun Things To Do In Delaware
Travel

What Is There To Do For Fun Around Here? — Delaware Beach Edition, Part 1

Regardless of being at the beach in the summer, this question gets tossed around a lot. It's easy to get stuck in a rut when you're with your friends, so take these ideas for a spin.

157

There's been countless days and nights here that I've been bored out of my mind. "Sooooo what are we going to do tonight?" gets asked in the group message between my friends and I and we offer some suggestions... walk around Rehoboth, have a beach bonfire at night, hang out at someone's house, drive to Ocean City and go to the trashy hookah lounge (if you can call it a lounge), or hang out in the Wawa parking lot. Our options seem limited because all of my friends and I work in restaurants and the only time we can get together is past 11 p.m. most nights-if at all.

This past winter break when we weren't working and had more time to spend with each other, I decided to compile some answers to the most dreaded question: 'What do you guys want to do tonight?'

I found a small gift bag and some flashcards that I cut up. I wrote down anything and everything we could do here, like ideas we would cringe at and things to do in certain scenarios, like if we were at a certain friend's house. I even wrote down some discussion questions that would help my friends and I get to know each other better. After compiling a ton of ideas. they got folded up and tossed in the bag to be picked whenever we needed some variation in our lives.

Now, be warned. These aren't your average things to do and some of them may seem weird, but if you're back from college for the summer or just hanging out with a solid group of friends, just try these things out and stop falling into your same old boring hangout routine.

1. Spin the bottle.

Instead of kissing your friends, spin a bottle in a circle of various shots. Get fancy and use Rumchata, bottom shelf tequila, and that brandy you own for some reason. Or, even spin the bottle in a circle of things people have to do, like "jump into the bay with jeans on" or "rub icy-hot all over your feet." The more weird and dreaded assignment, the better.

2. Document a time of friendship.

Write out a crucial part of your friendship history. My friends and I always talked about our friendship history and how certain events would occur on the Wikipedia page of our group. It will be fun to see how everyone remembers the same situation.

3. Any ole' drinking game.

Most of my friends studied abroad this past semester and not only did they bring back some great and horrible memories, but they also learned new international drinking games!

4. Paint night.

We've all seen girls on Twitter post pictures of the solar system or a beach on their back from their friends' artistic abilities. Artistic or not, have a paint night. Either paint the same thing or have a theme like 'what inspires you?' My friend Ryan would definitely draw his Subaru. Small, personal canvases at Walmart are so inexpensive too, so if everyone threw in $5, this idea could come to life.

5. Teach each other a skill.

Think about your friends. Each of them knows so much about a lot of things that you know nothing about. Spend a night teaching each other about anything. Even if you wanted to talk about your extensive knowledge on a true crime case from a podcast, go forth.

6. Visit Primehook.

Have any of you ever been to Prime Hook national park? Yeah, me neither. It's a little north and out of the way, but it's nice seeing a new area by the bay. I hope it will give me the excitement like making it to the end of Thompson's Island for the first time, and any time after, really, nature never gets old.

7. Recreate celebrities' insta pics.

What would be even better? Recreating each others Insta pics. Does your friend have a dramatic photo shoot session they posted? Recreate it for laughs, but only if your friends can take a joke.

8. Roller skating.

This is an idea I will never let go. It's so much fun once you get the hang of it. Make it even better by dressing up in clothes from the '80s.

9. Make a TikTok video.

This app has some of the most creative and funny content. Be a part of it by emulating a video trend or lip-syncing a song. Definitely cringy and 100% worth it.

10. Late night diner trips.

Whether it's 1 a.m. and you just head to Reho Diner, or you make the hour-long trip to Waffle House, there's nothing like some cheap food with your best friends past midnight.

11. Hot tub at __________.

Pick a friend's house that has a hot tub and sit back and chill. Preferably with some Dogfish Head.

12. Tell each other their best qualities and what you love about them.

Remind each other why you are friends! Having discussions with your friends like this hypes them up, but at the same time makes them appreciate you even more when you compliment them. It's a win for everyone.

13. Listen to each other's 'Life Song'.

A life song is one or more songs that make you feel some type of way and describe who you are as a person. Getting to share music that you love so dearly just brings people closer together and who wouldn't like that?

14. Head to the state park.

Beach day or not, the state park has some fun biking and walking trails. Gordon's Pond is amazing since it takes you right to North Shores, and eventually the Avenue if you go off the trail enough.

15. Face masks and chick flicks.

My guy friends love nothing more than a good face mask and some dramedy. My girlfriends do too, but definitely less. Pick a good movie. May I suggest literally any Amanda Bynes movie? She was a legend back in the day.