Reevaluating Your Life

The Circle of Life

When kids evolve into full adulthood.

51

Life can be funny when you least expect it, this is why I am telling you this little story of how my wife and I should have been "grounded" by our eldest daughter. Yes, my eldest daughter was born when my wife was 19 and I was 21. We were a young couple trying to survive and grow a little family.

As time went by, my wife and I struggled to manage the bills, keep up with our kids' activities, and all the parts that come along with living a busy married life. When our kids were a little older my wife and I were now in the growing phase called "teen years." Boy, was this a trying time since one of my kids was now a teenage daughter.

Teen daughters can drive any father crazy when boys are involved. I would typically give my daughter a certain time to be home when she was out with her friends and I made sure that she abided by those rules. My daughter always made sure to be home on time in which trust was earned by her mother and myself. One night she was running a little late from a school dance while my wife and I were waiting in the parking lot for her. Soon enough, I went to the dance to go look for her to bring her home and there she was dancing with her friends, having a blast. I allowed her to stay longer.

Well, this brings me to my point in how life will make a full circle. Now that my kids are young adults my wife and I now have the pleasure of going out to the 80's clubs without the concern of any kids to worry about. One night my wife and I had dinner with my daughter and her boyfriend and after dinner, I asked my daughter to drop off my wife and I at an 80's party that was going on in the strip while her boyfriend and she were going to the movies. She agreed and told me that she would pick us up after midnight.

I had not realized the time while my wife and I were having a BLAST at the 80's party when I looked at my phone and realized that I had 4 missed calls and a few missed text messages from my daughter. She was pretty upset because she was waiting for us in the parking lot. I asked her to give my wife and me just 10 more minutes, she hesitantly agreed.

It was not sooner than later that I felt a tug on my arm and realized that it was my daughter to drag me out of the club! Yes! She was not a happy camper. She was pretty upset on the ride home because she was not too thrilled about going into a club and yanking me out of this 80s club. On our way home, she kept telling me how I missed the curfew that she had given to my wife and me.

Well, there you have it, life. Enjoy it for now because you never know what tomorrow will bring.