Is it Really Worth It?

Is it Really Worth It?

When friendships turn into a burden, when do you know it's time to call it off. Should you call it off?

136
Is it Really Worth It?

In high school, I didn't have a whole lot of friends. I usually sat by myself at lunch and I didn't go to prom or homecoming. I was honestly expecting college to be no different: wake up, go to class, eat, and sleep. No more, no less. When I got to Mississippi State, though, everything was different. I was surrounded by friendly, smiling faces and people who were genuinely interested in my life and how I was doing.

I really tried to put myself out there and make my college experience everything everyone said it was supposed to be. Finally, I met some of the most amazing people in my life: my best friends. We eat together, have sleepovers, cry about school together, and I can't remember going a day without seeing them. We are all so close and so alike, though, that sometimes we butt heads.

In every friend group, especially with girls, there will be tension. Fighting is normal and is nothing to be worried about. When there is never a time where all of you are happy and just glad to be around each other; however, that's when you need to reevaluate your relationships. Friendship is a sacred thing between two people or even a group of people. There are certain things that are mutually understood when someone puts their trust in you and you put your trust in someone else.

Friendship is a give and take relationship. It's never one-sided and both people should feel mutually accepted within it. You should never feel scared to confront someone about something that is bothering you because you should both understand the importance of accepting each others' concerns. When it gets to a point in a relationship where someone is constantly making you feel undeserving, useless, and even afraid of them; that's when you need to consider your friendship.

This is a hard topic to talk about because I'm pretty sure everyone has gone through something like this. When it comes time to have a serious talk with someone who is supposed to be your best friend, you just have to breathe and know that whatever happens will happen and there is no wrong or right. It's frustrating, though, because these friendships we make in college and in our twenties are supposed to last a lifetime. When you are so far away from home and can't see your family every day, your friends are all you have.

Just know that everyone goes through this at some point and it's nothing unusual. Sometimes we have to put ourselves first, and a lot of us, myself included, forget that sometimes. We are the most important person in our lives and we should treat ourselves that way. I hope this helped anyone who is going through a rough patch in a relationship, and best of luck to you.