Friends for a Year: Let's Reflect

Friends for a Year: Let's Reflect

We're like peanut butter and jelly, just not right without one and other.

300
Friends for a Year: Let's Reflect
Jimmy Lafakis

Dear Best Friend,

Where do I begin with you?

For starters, Happy Birthday and Happy One-Year Anniversary. It’s crazy to think that at one point in my life you were simply a stranger to me. Now, after a year, there’s no way I could live my life without you. Crazy, right?

I’m not sure what it was that really spurred this friendship into motion. Maybe it was the constant sorority meetings and shared eye rolls from across the room. Maybe it was the fact that we got our first tattoo’s together. Maybe, just maybe, it has something to do with the constant shared laughter and joy that flows so naturally when we are together. Whatever the case may be, I’m so glad that this friendship bloomed into what it is.

I know that there are days where I’m not the most spectacular best friend. I know there are days where I walk around with a giant storm cloud over my head. On those days, you somehow manage to pull some sunshine into my day and make the clouds go away. I strive every day to bring as much light into your day as you bring into mine.

Your calmness and my sporadic-ness work together like Ying and Yang. Talking to you keeps me sane. I love when we have pointless, stupid talks. I love when we have in-depth ‘questioning society’ talks. I even love when we are mad at each other and have the most serious of talks. No matter the topic of discussion, it’s always flowing. There is never a moment where I can’t think of the right thing to say to you. I think that’s pretty rare and unique, because I find myself frequently looking for the right words to say to other people when I’m in discussion. But not with you.

There are few people on this earth whom truly obtain a heart of gold. Best Friend, you are one of them. You put up a tough exterior around that heart of yours, but I’m glad you let me in. I don’t think I can explain to you how much you’ve changed me for the better. (Slight Wicked and Theta reference.)

I guess what I’m trying to say is thank you.

Thank you for all the times you’ve had an open shoulder for me to cry on.

Thank you for being the first person I come running to with a funny story.

Thank you for constantly pushing me to be better and strive for goals that I never thought I could reach.

Thank you for always having just the right advice, whether my problems be school, boys, or just life in general.

Thank you for being wise beyond your years.

Thank you for procrastinating with me and instead of doing homework, we watch endless YouTube videos together.

Thank you for being my best friend.

Simply, thank you.

Love,

Izzy