It's More Than OK To Be Friends With Your Mom

So what if I have my mom on Snapchat?

375
Rachel Wong

When I was younger it never really occurred to me how different my mom was from my friends' parents. By this, I don't mean she was weird or standoffish, but rather the complete opposite. My mom always spent time with me as a kid.

She made home-videos of my brother and me, which essentially documented the entirety of my childhood. She also spent countless hours entertaining me and playing along with the games that I had made up. Due to her endless love and constant presence in my life when I was younger, we only became that much closer as I went through later stages of my life.

Before I really delve deep into our relationship, it is safe to say that we are not always on the same page. There have been many times where we have disagreed and she has asserted her "parental powers" over me. Meaning, I would get grounded or have privileges taken away just like anyone else. However, our relationship is definitely a unique one compared to most.

I often get comments from friends saying "Wow your mom is so cool!" or "I wish I had that kind of relationship with my mom". My mom and I do a lot together, from helping me get over breakups with boyfriends to shopping to going on vacation with one another she has always been by my side. We go to the spa, have endless amounts of coffee dates, and love to indulge in "Bachelor" nights whenever I am home.

She also receives constant texts from me, updating her on my life, and I always get a plethora of funny pictures and texts in return. You could say that these are all things someone does with their best friends, and I just happen to be extremely close to my mom.

However, there are always some people that think we are way too close friends instead of having a mother-daughter relationship. Despite our closeness, we both have our own separate lives and she definitely does not baby me-- she has made that very clear! To those people that think our relationship is too much, I would like to say that there is nothing wrong with having your mom as one of your best friends. I can one-hundred percent say that my close relationship with my mom has helped me shape my life and my being today.

Close relationships with parents (whether it be a mom or a dad) can help foster a sense of trust between you all. This trust is extremely healthy and when parents get the gist of what you are doing they can offer some really helpful insight. Believe it or not, most of what we do has already been done by our parents. The advice we get from them is simply advice. You don't necessarily have to take it, but it is probably coming from their own experiences with similar situations. Having a good relationship with parents allows for you to receive that advice more openly and reap the potential benefits of it.

In short, I am extremely thankful for the time and energy my mom has put into helping me become the woman I am today. I have learned how to deal with friendships, boys, job interviews, and basic social skills because of her. While I have gotten my fair share of lectures, I am happy that I can sit down and just have a conversation with her like she is one of my good friends.

I'm not scared of her like some people are of their parents, and I do know that there is a line between being best friends with your parents and having them being very authoritative over you. I have been absolutely blessed with the best mother and would not change it for the world. She may not exactly be like Regina George's mom, but she is definitely a "cool" mom to me.