The Friends I Made In College Were Unlike Any Friends I've Had Before

In the best possible way.
583

Unless you plan to go to a college with all your closest friends, you’ll have to come up with your own along the way. I would almost recommend that you don’t pick a school with everyone you’ve ever known and enjoyed. College isn’t just a home or a school, it’s an adventure and an experience. It’s OK to go on that adventure on your own.

I feel so lucky that I went to a big university all by myself so that I got the privilege of choosing new people for the new chapter in my life. It was so fitting that I would get a fresh start and, with that, become unbelievably close to some of the most special people in the entire world.

I expected that I would be able to meet people and get along with them and that my first year of college wouldn’t suffer by my being alone. I’m a friendly and accommodating person. However, I can also get shy and anxious, assuming people will eventually come to me or I’ll just miss out. I just really didn’t want to miss out on anything. I was heavily connected to my groups of friends back home and wanted a bond like that while away.

But as soon as I stepped into my dorm, something in me shifted in me and I wanted to be friends with anyone who would have me. I introduced myself and popped into every open door. It wasn’t until I went into my suitemates’ room where I felt instantly connected. I didn’t know it at the time, but they would become the two girls I would stay up all night with talking about anything to and that would be the room where I would do everything except sleep.

They’re always up for anything and are complete joys to be around. I told them everything and listened like never before. They told me their secrets and kept all of mine, rocked out to Nickelback with me like no one was watching, didn't mind getting Starbucks way too late at night and would wake me up if they knew I wouldn't get up for an exam on my own. They were honest and kind and more than I could have asked for.

They were the exact people I needed to feel comfortable in a scary place. But of course, everyone gets busy and we didn’t have every interest in common. The beauty of college though, is that it's so diverse that there’s someone for everyone and all their needs. You don’t even have to look very far; the perfect people could be right on the same floor of your residence hall.

You have the people who love to go out for dinner at midnight. The person who likes to go eat waffles at any time of day and go to peculiar concerts and football games. There are people who understood my workload better than anyone because they have the same major and they also happen to be insanely fun to be around because they like playing beer pong while baking cookies and they sing down the hallway at all hours. It’s all the weird things like that that I’ll miss terribly when I’m not living in a dorm.

These are the people who have no idea where you come from and they don’t care, because you’re all in the same place. It never matters how you got there and who you were before walking through the doors. You share everything from nail polish remover to information because someone always needs something. Everyone has a purpose and people in college have a good way of showing it.

Nothing could ever be as good as the friends I’ve had my entire life and that can withstand any distance and time apart. My best friend from home will forever be my absolute favorite person in the world, but I guess it’s good to know I was in good hands the past eight months.