Some Friends Last Forever

Thank You To My Day Ones

We will always pick up where we left off and I will love y'all forever.

102
Thank You To My Day Ones
Mary Ellen Hunter

Throughout life, you come into contact with a plethora of people who will impact your life in some way, shape, or form. This begins as soon as you step foot into the world... and sometimes even before.

I am extremely lucky to have had an incredible group of individuals that I've known since early childhood and will continue to for the rest of my life.

This is a thank you to my forever friends, sometimes far away, that have been there for me since the very beginning. If you have been fortunate enough to have people in your life like these, you will heavily relate to this article.

They know more about you than anyone else because they have literally seen it all from the start. They know you at your best, worst, and everything in between- while still loving you regardless. I'm talking even during the Hannah Montana hand-socks phase and Sketchers... not to mention your awkward middle school days.

These are the ones that have seen you transition into almost every phase of your life, and you have been there to see the same for them. While apart, you talk occasionally to keep in touch but when together, you immediately pick up right where you left off and it is one of the best feelings ever.

Della and I became best friends as soon as we were able because we were clearly destined to. The backstory goes all the way to when our grandparents were best friends and happened to have our dads at the same time. The two boys grew up in Raleigh together and did everything together. Their last names have the same beginning to them so they were alphabetically paired in every way. They had lockers next to each other in school, were on the same school teams/groups, got put in the same homeroom, etc...

So when they had kids (Della and I) within the same year, same applied for us. We were inseparable and to this day remain extremely close. We are currently in a casual two-person book club to re-read one of the old books we were forced to read in the seventh grade.

Catherine also became another best friend, before even knowing it. My parents had recently moved into the neighborhood and when my mom got pregnant with me, she started walking in the mornings. She eventually ran into another pregnant lady who also walked around the same time through the area so as expected, they started walking together. The two wonderful women became attached at the hip and Catherine and I were born only a few weeks apart.

Growing up, childhood was especially wonderful because my best friend was right across the street! She is honestly probably still annoyed with how often I took advantage of this. From school to sleepovers and playing in the snow or sprinklers, we practically became sisters (and argued like it too.)

I met Jenna as a tween at an all-girls Christian summer camp, years ago. While our values did not exactly align with the camp's, they were certainly a match to each other. We were also meant to be. Our similar impulsive mentalities landed us in trouble together there and the rest was history. We never attended the camp again but our friendship will remain a lifetime.

Unfortunately, she lives in Florida and I'm still over here in North Carolina but we still make sure to see each other at least once a year (twice on a good year.) Whether I'm flying there to her and warmer weather or she's traveling up my way for a reunion, we will always make an enormous effort to stay as close as we got that one summer long ago.

Most friendships come and go, but I know these are the ones that will truly last forever. Although Catherine, Della, Jenna, and I all go to different schools miles away and will go in opposite directions in life, I know these bonds will last forever.

We may not still have everything in common as we did at the young age when we met, but the length of our friendship and the common union we share will continuously tie us together for life. Near or far, I know y'all will always be there for me. Whether you are a plane ticket, phone call, or across the block away, you've always had my back and I will continue to do the same for you.

Thank you to all my lovely childhood friends that will truly last forever. Life would not be the same without you.