What It's Like Having Friends In Different Sororities

So Panhellenic, much Greek.

116
Panhellenic Council

It's Sorority Recruitment season! One misconception of the recruitment process is that you need to be in the same sorority in order to keep a friendship. People also assume that we don't have friends outside of our own sorority, or that your life is over if you aren't in the same sorority as your best friend.

1. We're still best friends

The purpose of recruitment is to find an organization that fits YOUR needs. I may connect with one sorority, while my best friend may connect with another. And that is completely fine! The only difference from before and after recruitment is that we are wearing different Greek letters. I still consider my best friend my sister even if she isn't my Greek sister. Looking at Greek life/recruitment from the outside is very hard because they don't understand how the system works. Fun fact: the system works, so trust it!

2. We support each other's philanthropies

I don't know about you, but philanthropy is what made me interested in Greek life. I love that each organization is involved and has their own unique relationship with their philanthropy. The Greek community supports each other's philanthropy because we know how important service is to us, individually and as a whole. It's refreshing to see college students engaged in community service and supporting one another.

3. #SoPanhellenic

I'm so grateful for "PanHel" because it allowed me to be a part of something greater. My friends and I found a home in our organizations. Greek life is fun because there are similarities and differences! I've met a lot of people in different sororities through other organizations I am involved with on campus. There is an instant connection when you see another sorority woman in public, or you watch Snapchats of a friend going through recruitment. It's the excitement of saying GO GREEK (or GEAUX GREEK if you're Southern) whenever you get a chance. I enjoy seeing pictures of big and littles, tweets about what happened in the house, and videos of bid day, no matter which Greek letters are represented.

4. There is a mutual understanding

Having Greek friends, no matter which organization creates a special bond. You know what they're talking about when they say, "I have chapter", "it's founder's day", or "I'm at a sisterhood event". I feel as if sorority life brought me closer to acquaintances because being sorority women is something we have in common. We are held to a higher standard because our founders wanted something better for us (even 150 years ago).

5. "A little competition never killed nobody"

It's fun to compete against your friends at intramural games or Greek Week. Being a part of the Greek community is as fun as you make it. Most of the "competition" between Greek organizations are harmless fun so