to the friend who lost a parent

to the friend who lost a parent

She questioned God, I questioned God, and I'm pretty sure our whole itty-bitty town questioned Him.

74
to the friend who lost a parent

"AndAs the thunder rolls, I barely hear Your whisper through the rain.."I'm with you." And as Your mercy falls, I raise my hands and praise the God who gives and takes away.."

While I have never experienced the loss of a parent, I know plenty of people who have. I have experienced the loss of a few friends, grandparents, and cousins. With every death, I am reminded that life is so so so precious.

When I was in the fifth grade I watched my best friend lose her mom. We were so young. We had so much life left to live. I remember feeling so helpless, so confused, and so torn for her. I knew that the only thing I could do was be a friend or rather a sister. She was my family and she needed me then, now, and forever to come.

As we grew up and went through the awkward stages of middle school, braces, and boys I looked up to her. I admired the woman she quickly had to become, for herself, her daddy, and her baby brothers.

I was older but still so confused on the topic of death. She and I remained close throughout middle school and on to high school. She taught me so much and I have never told her of the lessons I learned (and am still learning) from her. I came to grips with death and I learned that it should be a celebration. I say celebration because if you have accepted Jesus Christ as your savior then you are headed for a front row seat. WHAT A CELEBRATION. I learned that while death can be sometimes hard to understand and tragic, it can also be uplifting to celebrate someone's wonderful life.

Looking back I learned 6 amazing lessons from my friend and her situation:

1. I learned to hug my own mama more. (Hug your mom, your dad, aunts, cousins, friends, whoever because you really just never know.)

2. I learned to treat my family, teachers, and friends with more respect. This one is important because you never know what the person next to you is going through. Always be kind.

3. I learned to NOT question God's plan. This one is a hard one. This is something I still struggle with. I was there through many tears and why's with my friend. She questioned God, I questioned God, and I'm pretty sure our whole itty-bitty town questioned Him. I learned that God's plans are bigger and better than anything we as humans can imagine.Isaiah 55:8-9 “My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord. “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts." She and I always came to the conclusion that this death was God's will and His plan. She was so strong and she made me realize that I should always trust in Him.

4. She taught me to seek God in my problems, worries, and fears. I watched her have good days and bad days. Every day I also watched her turn to Jesus. She would just cast all of her tears, questions, and worries to Him and He would comfort her. I learned to do the same.

5. I learned that a friend who loves the Lord the way she does only comes around once in a while.

6. I learned that my parents, family, friends, and life were a GIFT to me from God. I learned that it's God's decision when to give and when to take away. I learned that I am so fortunate to have Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. For the first time in my life I learned that I was not worthy of His love. I realized that His love and forgiveness was a gift to me.

"And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand. You never left my side and though my heart is torn I will praise You in this storm.."

So, to my friend who lost a parent... you should know these 12 things:

1. You are loved.

2. You are important.

3. You are special.

4. You are God's child.

5. You are loved by the one true King.

6. You are beautiful in His image.

7. You are strong.

8. You are capable of anything.

9. You are a good friend and an even better big sister to your boys.

10. You will see your Mama again.

11. You will continue to make her proud.

12. You will continue to impress me with your faith.

13. I wouldn't trade our routine cemetery talks for anything in this world.

If you have ever lost a parent or know someone who has, tell them what they mean to you. Love them through it. See the God in the situation and rejoice. CELEBRATE. Life is a such a gift.

You're my pal and my confidant. I wouldn't trade our friendship for the world.

Love,

The Other Abi