A 'Thank You' To The Friend I Grew Away From
Friendships

You preached that a friendship can't be forced, and now you're practicing what you preach.

350

I need to preface this by saying how grateful I am for our time together. Spending time with you created lasting memories and those can never be taken away. However, no memory can erase the fact that you no longer really care. These memories can't bring you back into my life, and at this point, I realize that it's likely better that it stays that way.

Let's start at the beginning. When freshman year started, I, like most people, was nervous about meeting new people. However, when we met, I immediately felt a connection with you. Within a week, we were getting to know each other, hanging out with our other friends, and making memories. It was grand. Over the semester, we studied, laughed, ate, and stressed out together. Through you, I met another close friend, and through them, I've met many others. I will be forever grateful to you for that.

With that said, these memories are what makes this next part so hard. Right before finals, we were working together you got frustrated with me. You accused me of letting our other partner off easy because of my feelings toward him. Not only were these accusations false, but you also embarrassed me in front of three of my close friends. If you legitimately had a problem, that was not the way to handle it. I was able to move past it. We got the project grade we wanted, and we seemed to be back on good terms. This was good news going into Winter Break. We parted ways for a month, keeping regular contact from home.

When we came back for the spring semester, I was looking forward to seeing you. Our first meal together took me back to the best of times we'd had in the fall. Even though we were going to be in different classes, I hoped that we could keep hanging out. For a few weeks, that was the case. After that, I don't know what happened. We talked less and less... you were changing. Our friends and classmates told me to move on, but I couldn't. I was still hoping that you would wake up and come back and talk to me.

That didn't happen. You ignored my greetings, and whenever you did talk to me, it wasn't the same. It took time, but I was able to move past my feelings of hurt. I still have no explanation of why you acted the way you did, but I've since determined that I don't need one. I have our memories to live off of for now, but I find myself much happier with you gone. It's unfortunate, but it's true. I hold nothing against you, and I have no problems with you hanging out with our mutual friends.

It's been great getting to know you this year, and I'm sorry we couldn't make this friendship work. I wish you all the best. If one day you want to talk, I'll be here. But for now, goodbye. Thank you for the valuable lessons I've learned from our experience. That's something I'll never forget.

I guess I'll see you around, old friend.