The REAL Freshman 15

The REAL Freshman 15

Everything I wish I knew a year ago...

1267
The REAL Freshman 15
Imgur

No, this not a post about the cultural myth that freshmen will gain fifteen pounds during their first year of college. Below is a list of fifteen lessons I learned during my freshman year of college. Some of which may have taken learning the hard way...

1. It’s okay to go home for the weekend.

The fear of missing out often times keeps us from staying in and having to watch the party from our friend's Snapchat story. But, even the most social student on campus could use a break to head home for the weekend. Remember it is okay to get away from the dining courts and get a home cooked meal for a change. But don’t let going home for the weekend turn into going home every weekend like I did...

2. Call your Mom if you’re having a bad day/night.

Never underestimate the power of calling back home. Not only does your Mom genuinely care to hear about how your day has been, she might do something nice like order you Insomnia Cookies to your house. It’s the little things that can completely change your day around!

3. Live in the Residence Halls, if you can...

It may sound ratchet having to wear shoes every time you shower, but believe me when I say living in a residence hall is so worth it. You don’t have to be best friends with the people on your floor, but there’s always a familiar face on campus. Not only is living in a residence hall more social, but you really do get the college experience out of it! And if I can fit all of my belongings in that little room, so can you.

4. Keep a journal and take notes.

I have found that keeping a journal and writing down what’s on my mind right before I go to bed helps me to fall asleep easier. It became part of my nightly routine last year to get everything off my chest before shutting down for the night. This could just be my own way of clearing my head.. but, it’s also refreshing to look back at the journal and see how much I have grown as a person over the past year.

5. Some of the best lessons aren’t taught in a classroom.

Academics come first, obviously, that’s what we are at college for. And as a future educator, I respect everything that my teacher has to say in class. But, I have found that some of the best lessons aren’t taught in a classroom. Your professor isn’t going to teach you how to find your person, who will be one of the few people to have your back through everything. And your professor definitely isn’t going to teach you how long you can go without doing your laundry.

6. You aren’t the same A+ student you were in high school.

Throwback to the glory days of not having to try to get an A in a course. Freshman year not only taught me that this is not high school material anymore but also how to actually study. It may have taken getting a D on my first ever college exam for me to realize I didn’t know how to study...

7. I learned my place.

As cliche as it sounds, I found my home away from home. I rushed a sorority and found the girls who push me to be the best version of myself every single day. I credit them for helping me grow in so many ways this past year. Not to mention these are the girls who will be beside me on my wedding day. I found my place and I am certain that I am right where I belong.

8. Don’t date the life of the party.

Don’t date the life of the party. Date the one who makes sure the life of the party gets home safely.

9. Self-love is the best love.

I am a firm believer that you must fall in love with yourself before you are able to fall in love with another person. Plus, self-love is the greatest middle finger of all time.

10. Your liver is not there to handle what your heart cannot.

I love getting out of the house to get your mind off of things just as much as the next girl, but know when you are better off staying in and just having a girls night. There is nothing wrong with junk food & chick flicks. Papa John’s pizza and ice cream might not fix a broken heart, but it sure helps!

11. The hours between 12 am and 6 am have a funny habit of making you feel like you are either on top of the world or below it.

And don’t spend those hours upset about anybody who is sound asleep knowing that you are upset.

12. The best thing you could wear is confidence.

I am always that friend that everybody is waiting on to leave because I can’t find the perfect outfit to wear. It’s not always about the perfect outfit, though. Look in the mirror and hype yourself up!! Even if it takes dancing around to Beyonce in the mirror... You’ll be surprised of how it can alter your mood.

13. Everything I need to know in life, I actually learned in kindergarten.

Okay, this might be a bit dramatic. But, treat others the way you’d like to be treated. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. Sharing is caring. Clean up your mess. Take naps and lots of them.

14. Sometimes you have to make $20 last two weeks.

I don’t think I’ve mastered this one quite yet, but I’m working on it. Don’t buy too many things you want to buy. You’ll quickly run out of money for things that you need to buy.

15. God answers in three ways.

He says yes and gives you what you want. He says no, and gives you better. He says wait and gives you His best. Always trust in the greater plan.