NBA Free Agency Moves I Love And Hate

6 Moves In NBA Free Agency That I Love And 6 That I Hate

Signings both big and small have impacts both good and bad..

75
LeBron James

This free agency period has been hectic, so it can be hard to keep track of all the signings. Well, I'm here to help. Here are 6 free agency signings that I love, and 6 that I loathe.

Love: DeAndre Jordan to the Mavericks

This is a move that almost happened in 2015 before Jordan got cold feet and ended up staying with the Clippers. The move might be too late now with Dirk turning 40 last month, but Jordan gives Dallas a defensive presence they haven't had since Tyson Chandler left the team in 2011. Combine Jordan with the former Warrior Harrison Barnes and two young guards in Dennis Smith and Luka Doncic, the Mavs could be on the way up.

Hate: Demarcus Cousins to the Warriors

This move gives the Warriors All-Star caliber players at every one of their positions. It also solidifies the center spot, by far the weakest position on their team. What angers me about this move is that yet another great player has decided to bail on a very good team for an easy ring, just like Kevin Durant did two years ago. If the Dubs are as good as people say they are, there might not even be a point in watching any games. We all know who's going to win already.

Love: Chris Paul stays in Houston

If Chris Paul hadn't gotten hurt and missed the deciding game of the Warriors-Rockets series, it very well could have been Houston holding the trophy. To this end, Paul has signed a contract extension with Houston to stay on the squad. Even with Paul and the reigning MVP James Harden, the road for the Rockets will be difficult. The Warriors have improved and the Lakers have courted the King, but the Rockets still have a legitimate shot to win the conference if things go well for them.

Hate: Derrick Rose retained by Minnesota

What did Rose even do in Minnesota last year? He had a couple of good games in the playoffs (which they lost handily, I might add), but he wasn't really needed on this team and still isn't now. This re-signing just doesn't make much sense to me, unless it was done because Butler and the coach wanted him around despite how it isn't good for the team as a whole.

Love: Kevin Durant re-signs with Warriors

Yes, I know that I called Durant week for moving to the Warriors earlier, but he has become the best player on the team, with two straight Finals MVPs under his belt. Keeping him around was a must, and the Warriors made it happen. Three cheers for the lack of parity in the NBA!!!

Hate: Trevor Ariza moves to Phoenix

The Suns already have several young forwards on the roster, and now they went and signed an old forward in Trevor Ariza. I get wanting veteran experience, but get it at a position you actually need to bolster. You gave up Tyler Ulis to give Ariza space on the roster. Ulis was a very good young player, and one that your star Devin Booker wanted to keep. I hope this doesn't blow up in your face when Booker becomes a free agent.

Love: Aaron Gordon staying in Orlando

This move is in no way good for Gordon. Any player would be fortunate to escape the perpetual basketball hellscape that is the Orlando Magic. No, this is a good move for the Magic who haven't been able to draft well since 2005, and even when they do are not able to retain those players. Good move by management to keep one of their few draft hits around for four more disastrous seasons. Aaron Gordon, I feel sorry for you.

Hate: Paul George stays in Oklahoma City

This move just doesn't make any sense at all. This Thunder team was hyped as a potential superteam and title contender. They couldn't even make it past the Utah Jazz. Now, even after underwhelming everyone involved, Carmelo Anthony kind of turning into a cancer, and Russell Westbrook being exposed for the ball hogging paperweight he really is, George decides to stay?? The team hasn't even gotten better, and the conference has gotten much more competitive. Have fun losing to a real team in the first round of the playoffs, Mr. George. You might want to put some Hennessy in the back of your locker. You're gonna need it.

Love: Sixers re-sign veteran Reddick

With young breakout stars like Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid, Reddick was the unsung hero in Philly. His strong defense and three point shooting bailed the 76ers out of a lot of bad situations. Keeping him around was the right move, even if he'll lose some playing time to a healthy Markelle Fultz.

Hate: Javale McGee somehow still has a job

People still keep employing this man! I get that he just won a ring with the Warriors, but you could've taken the cashier at the Steak N Shake and put him on that team and the Warriors would have still won that championship. Hell, McGee might not even be good enough to work at that Steak N Shake! I'm going to laugh so hard when he shows his true colors in L.A and becomes a fanbase pariah.

Love: Tyreke Evans moving on to Indiana

Evans is considered a bust by many, never amounting to the potential he showed in his rookie season. However, he had somewhat of a resurgence in Memphis last year, and his size will prove useful to an Indiana team that lacked depth and size in their backcourt (*cough* Darren Collison *cough cough*).

Hate: LeBron James decides to take his talents to Los Angeles

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for. This move only makes sense if it has nothing to do with basketball. All it is is Lebron moving to a team that, even with him on it, is top 3 in the conference at best. This squad has no shot at winning anything this season. It also shows how the Lakers are a fraud of an organization who are completely incapable of building a competitive roster without throwing gobs of money at whatever big free agent happens to be available. At least LeBron won't have to play as many games this year; he can just get swept by Golden State in the Conference Finals instead.