I'm In A Fraternity, But I Am A Girl

I'm In A Fraternity, But I Am A Girl

I decided to join a co-ed fraternity in college and now wouldn't change a thing.

316
I'm In A Fraternity, But I Am A Girl
Alpha Eta Nu Chapter of APO Facebook

When I first learned about sororities and Greek life in college, I quickly decided it was not for me. I tend to be quiet and have always been the girl content with only a few close friends. I am happy with a smaller group and get overwhelmed when surrounded by twenty to thirty girls. I was interested with becoming part of a group on campus, but one centered around social activities and interactions overwhelmed me.

I knew that I wanted to find a family on campus; whether it be through my major or other interest, but didn’t know how to find such a group.

Growing up, I was involved in girl scouts and have had a passion for public service for as long as I can remember. Being involved in activities like these primed me to continue these efforts in college; which led to finding the group I know call family.

My freshman year, my FRAD (roommate of RA who helped with academics) was a member of a co-ed service fraternity on campus, separate from the Panhellenic community, and suggested that we consider it. After talking to my parents about it, I learned that my mom was actually a part of the same fraternity during her college experience.

That coming spring, while Panhellenic rush was happening, I decided to go for it and rush Alpha Phi Omega, a coed service fraternity focused on helping our community and nation. In fact, our three largest values are to be a leader, be a friend, and to be of service.

My rush experience was different from the normal. It consisted of attending a few social events such as a smores bonfire or a game night alongside a few service activities such as helping at the campus farm or volunteering at a baseball league for children on the spectrum of special needs. At the end of the process, rather than being voted on by a group of people who have only had a few seconds of interaction with you, you are allowed to enter the organization as long as you have completed all of the requirements (service hours, events attended, etc.).

The difference between the rush process that I experienced and the process that many girls typically experience in the Panhellenic side of Greek life is what most appealed to me. Rather than focusing on wearing the ‘right’ clothes and makeup and feeling pressured to get girls to like you, the rushing process for Alpha Phi Omega included getting to know the brothers and enjoying helping the community.

Flash forward to now, I have been a part of the fraternity for almost a year and absolutely love every part of it. I have a big who is one of the sweetest people I know and I am constantly inspired by her dedication to both the fraternity and her academic research. We are both science majors who spend more time in the science building than our own dorms so I know I will always have a study buddy in her.

This coming semester, I am actually a part of the executive board and am very excited to take on a larger role in the chapter.

All in all, I never thought I would ever be the type of person to join a Greek organization in college because of the stigma surrounding sororities and fraternities. Once I came to college, I found other organizations to be a part of and ended up trying out Greek life and now wouldn’t change a thing.

I hope that this article opens the mind of others who are, just like me some few months ago, overwhelmed by the idea of joining a Greek organization but want to find a group to call home. Jump in and give it a try, I promise that you will find your group in college, no matter what way it presents itself.