The Importance Of The 4th Of July

The Importance Of The 4th Of July

The 4th of July means more than fireworks, barbecues and Old Navy T-shirts.

1189
The Importance Of The 4th Of July
Gianna Ruocco

Many people see the Fourth of July as fireworks, barbecues or Old Navy t-shirts but this American holiday is more than an object or activity.

The Fourth of July stands for independence and freedom. This day is for us to look back and see the good our country has done instead of the bad. We look at the average day people who are seen as heroes by many. People are the Fourth of July, not flashing lights and family baseball. People make up our country, and they are the ones who decide if they want to make it great or not.

America in 1776 used this day to celebrate our independence after signing the Declaration of Independence. During this time, we had finally been free from the British Empire and from then on we have lived on as our own country. We as a nation live our life, and we are given more rights than many other countries. We are given the right to speak and express. We are given the right to love. We may not be the perfect nation but we, the people, are still correcting and attempting to make life better.

The Fourth of July is a day to look at your loved ones and be happy that history brought you here today. Your family’s descendants have different backgrounds, and without our independence, they may have never immigrated to America. Lately, there has been a split between people after the election of 2016. People with different beliefs on what America has become and will become began to clash. However, without delving deeper into this situation, America is still here, and these people who have conflict still live here. Our differences and clashing beliefs are what makes us Americans. We are allowed to think and speak out. We are allowed to change something we don't like. We are allowed to show emotion whether it be sadness, hatred or love. We are allowed to become whoever we set our minds to. We are allowed to be ourselves. Even if you aren't in love with the idea of America’s present situations, you at least have to see the bigger picture of what makes America the way it is. What makes us free? The laws or is it you as a person? We may still need to fight some battles, but we are freer than most others.

The Fourth of July may not be your favorite holiday, but it is a day to contemplate and think of how far we've come as a nation and how far we will go as a nation. This isn't decided on whoever is president or new laws this is decided by you. The people get to make our future. The next generation gets to make America better than where we left off. The Fourth of July is a special day to not only celebrate the history of our independence but a day to believe in the future of our country and what we as people can accomplish.