The Forgotten Community At The Woman's March Is Obvious

The protesters that really caught my eyes, though, were the ones wearing vagina costumes and other vaginal symbols.

13
Daily Serinda Swan

I am absolutely astounded at how some of the marchers that participated in the women’s marches could completely exclude a whole community in their efforts. The whole march was based on gender, yet somehow they got it so completely wrong. And although many did not participate in this exclusion, I am still furious that those who did were the ones who ended up getting most of the media coverage.

Don’t know what I’m talking about?

Well, let me explain.

In an effort to protest Donald Trump’s presidency, all different types of individuals; mainly woman, gathered in cities across the U.S. to let their voices be heard. They held up different signs, wore clothing with powerful messages, and even sent powerful messages with their lack of clothes.

The protesters that really caught my eyes, though, were the ones wearing vagina costumes and other vaginal symbols. This really got my attention, because I didn’t realize that to some people, everyone with a vagina is a woman. Actually, I did know that people thought that, but I expected it to come more from the right side of the party, not from the marchers protesting our new Republican president.

While I didn’t have time to chat over a cup of coffee with these individuals, I doubt that their intentions were all that bad. I mean if you are going to go and protest in some of the largest cities in the country, then I feel like it’s only appropriate that you know your shit.

A woman is not a person with a vagina. A woman is a person who identifies as a woman.

Why is that so hard for people to understand?

I get that not all people agree with the idea that gender identity and genitalia are completely separate things, but I have a feeling that that wasn’t the case for the individuals who marched. It seems to me like people were just careless, and totally forgot about the transgender community. Which is just incredible to me, because you would think that a march dedicated to supporting women and their rights would include all different types of woman.

There is nothing more upsetting to me than the thought that my trans sisters and queer family being left out of the march, and in a sense, forgotten.

While I completely support the march and the intentions of the marchers, I think that some people really missed the mark with this one. Good intentions are great and everything, but they don’t count for shit when we are talking about a nationally held march, where misconception was everywhere.

The worst part about it is that some incredible things happened at the march, and the love and courage that was shown was truly inspirational. You can imagine, it is extremely sad to me that I can't focus more on that, all because some people took it upon themselves to define what makes a woman a woman.

I would like to thank the marchers that just supported woman rather than vaginas, and would like to send my empathy to those who may have felt discouraged or left out. If you are really a supporter of women and the rights of all people, then you will expand your views a little to make sure that you don’t leave out a whole community of individuals.