Forgive And Forget
Dating

Forgive And Forget: Part Two

A Short Story Piece

145
Forgive And Forget: Part Two

He was the last person she had expected to see standing there. It had been twelve long years. What should she do?

Leah stood there mouth agape, wondering what to even say to him. He put his hands in his pockets and rocked back and forth on his heels as he waited for her to gather her thoughts. Leah took in the man that she had once loved and probably still did to an extent.

His brown hair was longer than she remembered and there were worry lines on his forehead that hadn't been there before. A five o'clock shadow framed his jaw even though she could tell he had shaved. His pale blue eyes were things that were the same, although they seemed to carry a sense of sadness that they didn't use to have. Leah shook her head and met his gaze, deciding to act like an adult. It HAD been twelve years after all.

"I'm assuming my mother sent you?" Leah asked.

He nodded.

"Alright. Guess we should be on our way then. We wouldn't want her calling both of us every other minute." Leah said with what she hoped was a convincing smile.

Leah followed him to his car at a safe distance while she tried to bury the emotions that had come bubbling to the surface. He probably didn't even feel the same way that she did about the whole situation. It was in the past, and she should keep it that way. She loaded her luggage into the trunk wordlessly and then slipped into the passenger seat. She looked him over as he pulled out of the parking garage and onto the road that would mostly lead them back to their hometown.

Being even closer to him, she could spot the muscles that he'd developed sometime in those twelve years. His skin was tanner as well, bringing out the freckles that were all across his skin. Her gaze went back up to his eyes which were the only thing overly familiar to her. He noticed her looking at him, and a smirk crept onto his lips. She quickly looked out the window instead, focusing on the trees looming above them.

"Leah?"

"Yeah?" She asked without looking at him.

"I know you probably wish it was anyone else that had picked you up. I just didn't want your mom to try to drive in the dark. We both know she really shouldn't be driving at all."

"Look, Conner, it's fine. What happened between us was twelve years ago. I'm sure we can act like adults."

Conner's jaw clenched as if he wanted to say something, but he didn't. Most of the drive went by in silence as Leah did her best to ignore Conner and the way his jaw was set. Thirty minutes from their town, Conner pulled off on the side of the road.

"Conner, what are you-" Leah started.

Conner cut her off with his mouth on hers. His lips met hers with a hungry need as his fingers tangled themselves in her hair. Leah pushed against his chest and almost pulled him right back at the look of hurt in his eyes.

"Seriously dude? YOU left ME. What is this? What are you trying to do, Conner?" Leah spat.

"Leah, I...I missed you."

"Maybe you should have thought of that before you LEFT me. WE were planning our wedding you jerk! I thought we were happy. Then you just enlist and disappear. You send me a LETTER! A letter Conner! I was devastated, and all I wanted was my best friend to come make it better."

"Leah-"

"No. You don't get to be angry here. I moved my entire life to another state so that I wouldn't have to be reminded every day. I couldn't stand the pitying looks. And now my dad is dying, and you pull this crap! Seriously dude?"

"I left because I thought it would be better for you. It was the worst decision I've ever made. I regretted it almost as soon as I did it. I just didn't think you'd want me again."

"Well, I've wanted you for the last twelve years you moron! Why do you think I ran away?"

"So you didn't date or even try to move on?"

"No Conner I didn't. But right now I have bigger problems to handle than our former love life. So please, for the love of God, just drive me home."