8 Reasons Why Everyone Should Minor In A Foreign Language

The more languages the better!

4707

Before I had set off to study German abroad, I took an intensive crash course that qualified me as passing the first elementary German, but even then I didn't feel prepared at all because I had had no prior experience. After I came back from Austria that summer, I knew I wanted to pursue more of what I had received in that experience. So, the following semester I began my journey into minoring in German.

Learning a language in college has given me so much more than I ever could have thought. It's something that I never would've dreamed of chasing in college as a pre-health major, but in doing so, being involved with the language department has really allowed my world, heart, and experiences to become bigger--which I think is something that everyone should experience.

The following reasons are why everyone should minor in a foreign language in college:

1. You meet so many people from so many different backgrounds and majors. And frankly, it's pretty easy to make friends because you're all struggling together (or they help your struggling soul).

Sometimes, it's difficult and mostly intimidating to make friends in those huge prerequisite lecture classes because everyone changes seats every other day, and if you don't act quickly and grab the name and number of the person next to you, it becomes weird later on in the semester. But in language classes, you'll find that you'll recognize one another around campus more easily and it's not weird to ask one another for contact info when you need help. It's cool to be able to make friends all across campus while also being passionate about learning the same language!

2. Taking language courses allows you to have a fun outlet aside from your core classes. It gets you involved in something different than just your major!

Of course, taking language courses aren't just for fun, they also require a lot of work just like the classes you'll be taking for your major. But through that hard work, you'll find that learning a new language adds so much color and experience to your life that no other classes will. And it's all because it gets you out of your comfort zone and challenges you to make mistakes in order to learn.

3. You'll find that the professors in the language department want nothing more than to help you learn the language they love so dearly.

We all have had those experiences with professors in which communication served as a challenge because understanding where one another was coming from wasn't super easy. If we're honest, that's just how human interaction goes in general.

But in my four years of college, I've come to find that besides the exception of the Kinesiology department, the German language department has had the most consistent and helpful staff I've ever worked with.

They love when you ask questions. They're patient in explaining how the whole grammar situation works. And they couldn't be more pleased when the light bulb goes off in your head.

4. If you studied abroad, it gives you the chance to experience the country and language you fell in love with right here at home.

Okay, so no you may not be able to live in Austria forever, but you can continue your experience in furthering your journey through the language and culture at your university at home. It'll give you something to give back to the country you fell love with when you return there someday.

5. You'll be able to switch speaking between English and your chosen foreign language when you're using common phrases. And all just to confuse your friends and feel powerful.

I'm not going to lie. It's pretty fun to confuse your friends when you just start speaking a language that they hear as just Gibberish. Either way, they'll eventually catch on and learn some new language skills. All thanks to you!

6. You'll feel overwhelmed and sometimes dumb at times, but when you're finally able to put together a decent conversation/story, your world will be bright.

Just like this baby, you'll probably be lost the majority of the class when you start learning the language, but eventually it'll come together. And those moments are sweet, although they may be few and far between.

7. It'll look fantastic on your resume and may give you that extra little umph you need to get that interview or that job. Languages make you more well-rounded!

If employers see that you've taken a language consistently throughout college, it'll make you stand out because it sends the message that you're willing to be a little uncomfortable to conquer new and unmarked territory. You're a learner and interested in expanding your minds' capabilities. Just don't be as cocky about it as Jennifer Lawrence is.

8. It'll soften your heart and make you miss/want to go back to your favorite place in the world! Nonetheless, it's a great excuse to travel back to the place you love so much and make use of all those minor credits you've earned.

All those minor credits will make you want to say goodbye to the states for a while after graduation! "Auf Wiederschen" for now!!