Forbes 30 under 30
Travel

As A 20-Something-Year-Old, These 5 Quotes From The Forbes '30 Under 30' Summit Reignited My Drive For Success

From hearing inspirational entrepreneurs to meeting other motivated young people in the work force, the Forbes 30 Under 30 summit was a priceless experience.

203
Taylor Malone

The Forbes 30 Under 30 event was absolutely mind-blowing, and the experience is unparalleled. From opening with a concert featuring Butterscotch, Russ and Marshmello, to getting to hear Marcela Sapone, Jenny Han and Kyrie Irving speak, Forbes put on a priceless event.

The Forbes 30 Under 30 Summit brings together entrepreneurs, scholars and different successful people in every industry you can imagine, from crypto-currency to literature and media! From my experience attending this event with Emerson College, where I am pursuing a master's degree, I was able to connect with tons of other scholars, and bear witness to some awesome performances, panels and learning opportunities.

I have compiled 5 of the most impactful quotes from my time at the event, and I hope they inspire and empower you as well!

1.  "Building networks of like-minded people, and people who have done what you have done or want to do, is how you SUCCEED." - Marcela Sapone, Hello Alfred Founder and CEO.

Wiki Commons

When discussing how she brought her idea to life in the consumer world, Sapone spoke about how building your network is essential. And not just building your network for the sake of knowing people, but really focusing in on who will be better able to help you get to success. With people who have a similar drive and work ethic, your empire can be unbeatable, and I thought this was a very important thing to keep in mind--especially while at a huge networking event!

2. "Rejections aren't going to stop; hold them as if they are your trophies and be proud of them." - Adam Rippon, US Olympic Athlete.

Ted Eytan, Wiki Commons

Embracing your rejections is the only way to see progress. It is the one way you are able to truly quantify how hard you are working, and how much closer you are to achieving your goal. Rippon was explaining that his road to success was fairly bumpy, but that he had no plan B, so he couldn't personally give up. By reflecting on his rejections and all of the "no's" he was able to look forward to what would eventually be a huge "yes," and he spoke about how the way he handled his rejection propelled him to that success!

3. "Ask yourself questions to find your unique voice, and be HONEST with yourself." -Esther Povitsky, Actress and Comedian. 

Disney ABC Television Group, Wiki Commons

This quote by Povitsky was one of the most profound of the event, for me. It really struck me-- she spoke about how she didn't realize she had any voice, say, or power in any format, until she realized that what she did as a stand-up comedian was how she could share her voice. She asked herself what she stood for, what she was feeling, and was able to just simply talk to those who would listen. She had to be honest with herself and figure out what exactly she wanted to stand for, and once she figured that out, she grew into her voice and now uses it to represent those who are still voiceless.

4. "Make yourself irreplaceable, indispensable, and invaluable." -Jenny Han, Author.

Photo by Kay from Pexels

In any setting you find yourself in, you must stand out in order to succeed. You cannot be the plain Jane of the industry and expect to come out on top! You have to have skills, character, work ethic, and whatever else that can help you stand out from the proverbial crowd. You have to be unapologetically you, and be necessary in your field. Be important-- so important, that there is no one who can do what you do better.

5. "There is no great joy in being the first if you are also the last." -Michael Tubbs, Mayor of Stockton, California.

Wiki Commons

While it is wonderful to be able to create something new or begin a new journey, if you are also the last person who will achieve that, and no one can follow in your footsteps, there is no real glory in that. You should be aiming to pave the way for others who look up to you and wish to achieve similar successes, not building yourself up on a pedestal to be merely admired. Help others create their own success, too.

While seeing Marshmello and raging out to his amazing set was still my absolute favorite part of the summit, I do feel so impacted by these people who shared their success (and failure) stories with young entrepreneurs and scholars like myself. Lucky is an understatement that I was able to share space with these amazing human beings and hear their stores, and the Forbes 30 Under 30 summit was an experience I'll never forget.