Travel like a local
Travel

How To Not Look Like A Clueless Tourist

Make it authentic.

98
How To Not Look Like A Clueless Tourist
Nour Elshazly

Traveling to a new place is always exciting, but there are things you can do to make your experience feel a bit more authentic. Instead of looking like a very obvious tourist and coming off obnoxious, try to really get in tune with the culture of the place you're visiting.

Try and learn some words/phrases in the language 

It really will feel like you're in a new country if you can say common phrases such as please and thank you in the native language of the country you're visiting. Sure, you could consider English the universal language but it does make a difference if you at least make the effort to learn a little. Also, the people of that country will really appreciate that you made the effort to try, even if you're saying it wrong.

Ask local people their suggestions/favorites around the city 

I know we all turn to Google to give us suggestions about where to go and what to see, but the best suggestions often come from people who live there themselves. I've asked bakery employees, people who ask me to take their picture, really anyone who works there have suggestions you might not have known otherwise by trying to search online.

Ditch the selfie stick 

Your picture will turn out so much better if you just ask someone around to take the photo!

Immerse yourself in their culture 

Eat the traditional food of the country and wear some clothing pieces that they're known for so you're not walking around the city in your college hoodie. (As a side note, escargot really is not bad at all, it doesn't even look like snails).

Be aware of different social norms 

Different countries have different norms in regard to personal space, how loud they speak, and other various things. Be aware of these and avoid doing things they find disrespectful.

While you don't have to do any of these things per say, it will make your trip a bit more memorable because not only did you visit different counties, you learned about their culture as well. Step out of your comfort zone and give new things a try, you won't regret it.