To My Younger Self

To My Younger Self

If this letter ever finds you, read it and keep it.

8
To My Younger Self
Abbi Thomas

How’s it going? I’m not sure where or even if this letter will find you. If it does find you and it happens to be during those not-so-fun junior high and high school years, hopefully it finds you doing pretty well despite the ridiculousness that is your life. I can say that it does get better though, especially once you’re finally out of there. Graduation may seem a long ways off from wherever this letter finds you but it will come faster than you think it will. That being said, don’t be so ready to graduate and be done with it all; enjoy it while it lasts and make the most of it.

If this finds you your senior year, don’t be so afraid of what college is going to be like. You’re going to do just fine, I promise. And yes, you’re going to make friends. But no, you won’t be so shy for forever. You know how you wonder what you’re going to be like when you get a little older? Well, you’re going to get pretty darn close to what you imagine you’re going to be like. It’s going to take you some time to figure out who you really are and what you want to do, heck who am I kidding, I’m still working on that, probably always will be. The point is, you’re going to come to a point where you feel more comfortable in your own skin and you’re not going to care so much about what other people think. Believe it or not, you’re going to accomplish some pretty cool things in your college years.

If the time machine or whatever I find to put this into magically makes its way back in time to your junior high years, don’t be afraid to be yourself. Don’t worry so much about not fitting in and having a “place.” You’re going to find it. Listen to what Dad tells you when he says, “Screw the other kids.” I’m pretty sure you never had a hard time doing that anyway but just in case. Along those same lines, think for yourself; don’t believe everything everyone tells you all the time and accept that as the whole truth. You’re pretty quick to trust people. That’s going to change real quick. That whole deal where teachers and professors say you’re going to learn to think in college, it’s true. Think through what you’re doing before you do it. Ask questions, always.

One of the biggest pieces of advice I can give you is to trust your gut. Nine times out of ten, that bad feeling you have about someone, something, or a situation is going to be right. Save yourself the time and the headache and don’t give those people the benefit of the doubt. One of your biggest faults is looking for the good in people that just don’t have any. Yea, some people are good but you’ll find the truly good people are hard to find, both in friends and guys you date. But I do know there will be several situations where you’ll make the wrong right decision, if that makes any sense.

Also, don’t be afraid of change; it’s an inevitable factor in this thing we call life. Unfortunately, both you and Mary Jo inherited Dad’s stubbornness. So, yea, don’t be like that. Some changes won’t be easy adjustments to make but you do get used to them. You make some big changes from high school to college anyway and you take to those just fine. Be open to all things and people, you never know who you’re going to meet.

Oh! Before I forget, you and Mary Jo will be friends and close sisters in time. Don’t scoff at that either, it’s the truth. You’ll need her and she’ll need you just as much. Aunt Sissy isn’t kidding when she tells you your sister will be a forever friend. Going to school in two different places with schedules that never seem to match up will make you appreciate her more and miss how often and easily she can make you laugh. She may drive you crazy now and she still will from time to time in the future but she’s the only person that’s been there from the beginning and she’ll probably be one of the few who sticks around till the end.

I don’t want to keep writing and spoil the surprises the future holds because it has many. Telling you all that’s to come before it does could also sway the decisions you make that will lead you to where you’ll find yourself and that just wouldn’t be right. Truth be told, you’re going to find you like where life is taking you. Take it from the person that’s been in your shoes and has seen what you have yet to see when I say I wouldn’t change a thing. But for crying out loud, don’t be such a scaredy cat, man. You have an adventurous spirit, use it and enjoy it. Enjoy life, make the most of every moment. You only get one shot.