Steubenville Is Suffering And It's Our Fault

For the love of a city.

317

To the students, staff, and faculty of Franciscan University of Steubenville:

There is a question that I am asked on an almost daily basis, by friends, family, and strangers alike. Why do you love Steubenville? Why would anyone love Steubenville? It is a city burdened with crime, whose economy is crumbling alongside the derelict structures that once housed prolific businesses, and whose history is laced with corruption and political abuse. It doesn’t sound like the kind of place anyone wants to grow up in, much less try to make a living in. It’s a city full of pessimistic individuals, waiting for the next train that will carry them to a better place.

And to this, I must respond: The citizens of Steubenville are suffering. Not from a lack of the basic necessities of life, not from deplorable living conditions, and not from living under a nasty political regime, as many communities are... They are suffering from something that is arguably worse: the absence of hope.

Steubenville lacks a culture of life. The word "culture" is a French term, which in turn derives from the Latin "colere," which means to tend to the earth and grow, or cultivate and nurture. Right now, there are few efforts to cultivate anything good, hope included, in the city of Steubenville. Many of the older citizens witnessed Steubenville in its heyday and they watched the community fall apart as jobs left, and upstanding citizens along with them. They can’t help but blame city leadership and most of them don’t know what a successful community is if there aren’t manufacturing plants keeping the economy afloat. This attitude has been passed down to younger generations, who either have no concept of a better life or feel there is nothing they can do to improve their situation except to leave town. All we have now is a melancholy focus on the past and a despondent view of the future, melding together to form a culture of apathetic despair, complete with drug abuse, prostitution, and various other more violent crimes.

Unfortunately, we are to blame for the continuation of this depressing demeanor. We sit on the sidelines of a crashing society, avoiding "dangerous" areas of town, complaining to our internet friends about the problems in the city, and making plans to leave as soon as we get the chance. To quote Edith Stein: "those who are silent are responsible." Our city isn't suffering because of some oppressive tyranny, but because of our acknowledgment of a problem that we aren't solving. It's time we take a stand and start cultivating something beautiful.

As Christians, we are called to a life of service, both to God and others. We have the Corporal Works of Mercy to help us respond to the basic needs of humanity as we journey together through this life. Feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, and sheltering the homeless are all “charitable actions by which we help our neighbors in their bodily needs” (USCCA). Loving a city means taking this a step further. We can't stop and be satisfied that we quenched someone's thirst for today - we have to build a structure in which they can go on for their entire life with all the dignity that a human being demands.

The revitalization of Steubenville isn’t just about recovering a dying economy, preserving history, or even turning the city into a thriving tourist destination. It’s about rebirth and hope and forming a community. In the words of Pope Saint John Paul II, “darkness can only be scattered by light, and hatred can only be conquered by love.” Civic love helps the members of a geographic community find meaning and purpose in their lives through the creation of a real community that isn’t merely contingent on location. When we are part of something bigger than ourselves, we start to strive for the good of others, we begin to feel responsible for others, and ultimately, we learn to love beyond ourselves. It is our duty as Christians to start this cycle and form a culture of love.

The sacrifices we make today are the building blocks for a community of hope. We build our community every time we walk down a street and accept a stranger with a smile, support a local business, or acknowledge the rich history of our humble town. Starting and supporting community art projects, theaters, concert halls, dance studios, and guilds are our ticket to spreading a love for the arts. Planting flowers and forming bike trails gives us a chance to share the perfection of God's creation with our neighbors. Renovating old buildings is an opportunity to create something that is structurally beautiful, as well as a unique and functional business space. All of these things are ways in which we build a culture overflowing with visions of hope. Even if the revitalization efforts never directly affect someone, they can't help but be inspired at how something so broken can be turned around and become something beautiful.

I don't love Steubenville because it's perfect. I love Steubenville because someone needs to love it, and I'd like to invite you to be a witness of Christ to this city as well. As Fr. Michael Scanlan once described Steubenville, "it’s a small city, a humble city, a city with not too much to brag about...Steubenville, with its smoke stacks and its steel and its coal industry...not known for great intellectuals, or spiritual events at any time in history, has been chosen by God for this particular work. The College of Steubenville has been called to be a light within the Church.”