For All The Moms With Kids Going Off To College

A Letter To All Moms of College Freshmen

62
Catherine Koziarz

Dear Mom,

Thank you. Thank you for teaching me how to walk. To talk. To sing my ABC's and how to write my name. For cooking me dinner for the past 18 years. For driving me to school before the sun was even visible because I needed a little extra help from my science teacher. For scolding me when I put my elbows on the dinner table. For brushing my hair while I was studying for that big algebra test. For making me feel beautiful 365 days out of the year. For teaching me that I am so much more without him. For loving me unconditionally. For never leaving my side.

Without you, I would not be who I am today.

Without you, I would not be a college freshman.

I will always be your baby, the little girl you held in your arms the day I came into this world. And in hindsight, I still am that girl. Just 18 years older.

While you're holding back the tears, trying to act as ecstatic as I am for my new step in life, remember that I'm feeling the same way you are. But thank you for acting strong, for my sake at least. I'm returning the favor.

You will no longer need to be my human alarm clock. You will no longer need to drive me to school every morning. You will no longer need to buy groceries for my school lunches. You will no longer need to schedule doctors appointments for me (although I may still need some guidance with that).

But don't worry. I will be okay. And so will you.

The first few weeks are going to be difficult, for the both of us. You are letting your baby go. It probably feels like you're throwing me to the wolves. And I guess its partly true. But don't fret, I'm going to be okay. You did raise me after all. Im strong, smart, independent, kind, dedicated, self driven, and honest.

Please don't think I've forgotten all about you if I don't answer your call or text in .05 seconds. I have my own life now and I know that's difficult, to let go. I promise, I'll get back to you.

In two short weeks, I'm leaving home. I will no longer be just ten and a half steps from your door. Now I will be 1,446,720 steps from your doorstep. Its true. I calculated it.

But being physically next to each other isn't what keeps us together. It's a bond that can never be broken. I know that is incredibly cheesy but its true. You will always be my mom. And I will always be your baby girl.

Your voice will constantly be in the back of my mind.

"Fix your posture."

"What are you wearing?"

"Put on a coat, its freezing outside."

"Oh you're too cool for an umbrella? Alright then, freeze to death."

"You can do so much better."

"Do not bring that boy home."

"You screwed up. Don't do that again."

"Get up, shake it off, and move on."

Constantly.

But the inevitable day has come. Where I walk out our front door and begin a brand new life.

In actuality, the only thing that has changed is where I'm living.

Remember that.

Your baby girl is still here.

Just all grown up.

Love always,

Your daughter