7 Foolproof Ways To Maintain Your Natural Summer Tan

Be a golden goddess all year round.

124
Kaitlyn Stivers

No matter the degree of tan you get, everyone likes to have a little color on their skin. It makes us feel confident, glowing, and reminds us of our favorite time of year! Keeping your summer tan throughout the fall and winter is often viewed as tedious work that has unsatisfactory results. In reality, there are some very simple steps that you can take to maintain golden goddess status all year round! The trick is to create a gradual tan that can withstand the change of seasons by adding easy steps to your everyday routine.

1. Take cool showers.

Believe me, I am the biggest advocate for long hot showers, but for tanning purposes cool showers are the way to go. Hot water dehydrates and damages your skin and won't do you any favors for keeping that tan.

2. Moisturizing is key! 

Rejuvenate your skin after a day in the sun or a cool shower by moisturizing your entire body. Keep your skin hydrated and glowing.

3. Drink water.

Even when you're not baking in the sun at the beach you should be drinking lots of water. Stay healthy and feeling fresh by hydrating. Are you seeing a pattern? Hydration, hydration, hydration.

4. Bronzer.

Your face is the first thing people see, and bronzer is your simple trick to give you that effortless "I chilled by the pool all day" look. Apply a matte bronzer to your face where the sun naturally hits (cheekbones, forehead, nose, temples) rather than all around. Bronzer is definitely your friend!

5. Eat beta-carotenes. 

Including beta-carotenes (red- orange pigment) in your everyday diet is a scientifically proven way to bring out that sun-kissed glow. Try eating lots of carrots, sweet potatoes, mangoes, and peaches!

6. Wear white or light colors.

This is the oldest trick in the book, but is sometimes forgotten as fall rolls around. There is no better way to show off your tan than to wear colors that make it pop. Try wearing a white sweater or pastel colored shirt in the fall to amplify the tan you worked so hard for this summer!

7. And, of course, tanning products! 

I would recommend products that have a tinted coloring to them. These are easy to incorporate in your everyday routine and give you that extra glow. Try a tinted face moisturizer or pigmented body lotion for after your shower!