The 10 Best Foods To Eat When You're Sad
food

The 10 Best Comfort Foods To Eat When You're Sad

When people get down in the dumps they tend to over eat or not eat at all, here are some foods to break you out of that spell.

19231

Everyone goes through bad times, it's just a fact of life. Dealing with these hardships typically take up so much time in the day that the most important thing gets lost. Let's talk about food, nutrition, and a balanced diet can be the key to momentary happiness and lifelong health. Studies like this one, talk about how food can impact your mood in a positive way, by directly affecting your serotonin levels. These are 10 foods that do good work for your body and will help you when you're unhappy and not feeling your best.

1. Chocolate!

Chopped Chocolate.

@charissek https://unsplash.com/photos/tWe8ib-cnXY

It's ok to indulge yourself once in a while, and if you're just feeling a quick bout of sadness a candy bar won't ruin your life. Dark chocolate is known for improving mood and lowering the risk of heart disease! How great is that, it's like having your dark chocolate cake and eating it too!

2. Berries!

They're the yummiest little snack ever and hold different antioxidants that work to better your body! Little munches that help you get healthier yes, please. The best part is that they're portable so you can have them wherever and whenever. So whether you're sad at work or at home, even on the midnight train going anywhere you can just pop a few berries in your mouth and feel better.

3. Naners!

Bananas.

@abbsjohnson https://unsplash.com/photos/Up2PKkq5kk0

Bananas! Isn't it b-a-n-a-n-a-s that Gwen invented bananas in 2009? Not only are they filled with fiber they also are a major source of potassium! When you're eating something this yummy and good for you! Another positive you can get a whole bunch of them at once and share them and make friends! So now you have people to distract you from the sad!

4. Water!

Do I even have to elaborate? Drink that water, flush all the toxins away. Put some flavor in it, treat yo self to that good good.

5. Tea!

Are you not a fan of water? Me neither so let's drink this tea together. Depending on the tea it can have so many great qualities. And you're still drinking water! It's just disguised as something delicious. If anything is going to make you feel happier it's going to be tea, from weight loss to antioxidants you can't go wrong.

6. Fish!

Salmon Dinner

@ellaolsson https://unsplash.com/photos/mmnKI8kMxpc

An old wives tale was that fish is a brain food, but it is also known for preventing and treating depression! So picture this, some rice and vegetables with a fat piece of salmon laying on top. I'm drooling just thinking about it, and the fact that it's Omega-3s can prevent depression is just icing on the cake.

7. Wine!

Can you legally drink? Are you in the comfort of your own home? Are you not an alcoholic? Do you like wine? Red wine can actually be a mood booster! Alcohol is classified as a depressant but red wine contains those great Omega-3s which can fight depression

8. Kale!

A Fresh Salad.

@jeztimms https://unsplash.com/photos/BHD2OxkYGSk

Create a salad! Throw some kale, berries, banana slices, maybe some fish into a salad bowl and enjoy! This little lunch or snack will be a huge mood booster! Then follow up with your favorite chocolate and you can't go wrong. Kale, in particular, is known for being a power food and containing a lot of vitamins and different nutrients.

9. Pasta!

Pasta is the most universally eaten food. It is easy to make so you get the instant gratification of cooking yourself a meal, and it can be paired with literally any other food. An easy dinner to just whip up is pasta with some peppers, sauce, and cheese. You get a healthy and versatile dish anytime you make pasta.

10. Cake!

@apriiil https://unsplash.com/photos/_IN4QCfBqmc

When you've pulled yourself out of this slump treat yourself to a big slice of cake! Some chocolate with berries on top, or maybe red velvet and cream cheese. If you're really feeling frisky get funfetti cake! The limit does not exist for cake options.

Now get out there and eat!