kentucky weather

'Should've Been A Snow Day' And 10 Other Types Of Weather All University Of Kentucky Students Love To Hate

It's a struggle, but we put up with it because we love our school.

95

Kentucky is crazy when it comes to weather. Most of us love that we get all four seasons, but sometimes they can tend to go from one extreme to another. Those who aren't from Kentucky probably think the way we deal with weather (especially snow) is crazy because of we kind of freak out over any change. UK students really get to experience the beauty of Kentucky weather, especially as we make our daily treks through campus in all kinds of conditions. I feel like I could study meteorology now that I have come to UK and the first thing I do every morning is to check the weather to know what to wear. My closet is full of clothes for every season, but you can never be too prepared in Lexington.

1. The sweltering heat of August/September

sweating

There's nothing quite like showing up to class with sweat stains all over your body. No matter how much deodorant or how lightly you attempt to dress, you just can't escape the heat. Your friends at more southern schools will call you a wuss, but the heat is real.

2. Those few days of cool weather in early October

yes!

It's October, so you're ready for fall weather and excited to escape the summer heat. We usually get a few days early in October where we feel the air start to cool down, but then it heats right back up. Sometimes, all in one day. The cruelest trick.

3. Cooler weather, finally!

sweata weatha

Right when you start to run out of short sleeves and tank tops to wear over and over again, the cooler weather hits. This is the time you'll see the biggest range of clothing. Some people will be in full parkas, while others are in shorts and a long sleeve shirt, so you can definitely tell where they're from and what weather they are used to.

4. A little bit of winter before winter break

fur coats

Just before winter break is when it's finally time to break out the winter coats (if you haven't already). It's when you'll probably through on a beanie or maybe a scarf before your long walk to class.

5. It gets colder?

frozen

You're back from winter break and ready to take on a new year, but you're literally frozen. Just when you think it couldn't get any colder, it does. January-early March is prime time for snow days and a daily uniform of your biggest coat over a sweatshirt. On a rare occasion, we get a snow day, it's because the roads are a mess because the state of Kentucky completely loses its mind when an inch of snow hits the ground.

6. The “should’ve been a snow day” days

slipping on ice

These days are the worst. You have been checking the weather for hours to see how much it will snow and if it will freeze over. Just when you're sure you'll get that call at 6 a.m. that there are no classes, you wake up at your normal class time to no call or text and realize you'll have to go. On the worst days, we are trekking through the snow or slipping on ice and cursing the whole way to class.

7. Awkward rain

sprinkle

This kind of rain is the worst because it's not quite heavy enough to justify pulling out your umbrella, but if you don't have a hood, you will get wet. Depending on how long of a walk you have, you might just end up pulling out your umbrella, but it's not always worth the struggle.

8. Torrential downpour

monsoon

Who doesn't love a good downpour? The kind where umbrellas are flipping inside out, there is not one piece of dry clothing on your body, and you've given up on everything. These are the day's everyone has a permanent frown on their faces and are just trying to get into any building to get out of the misery.

9. Being convinced you're going to die each time you go inside

sweating

Nothing like the winter when you are prepared for the outside weather, but not the inside. You're bundled up and thriving in the cold, but as soon as you get settled in class, you realize the heat is blasting and you start shedding each layer to avoid passing out in class.

10. Realizing it will just be cold forever.

froze to death

Soon, you come to the realization that it's just never going to be warm again. You might even have left your giant winter coat at home in hopes that it would warm up, but that just jinxed you. There might be a few warm days here and there, but don't put that coat away just yet.

11. The last few days of spring semester

tanning

Finally, just as you are ending another year of college, it starts to get warm. You might get to break out those t-shirts again, and you will probably even get to study for finals outside. The sun is a great mood booster after so many gloomy winter days.