5 Tips For Fixing Your Terrible Sleeping Habits

Time to reset yourself

25

Trying to get the right amount of sleep is something many people (myself included) struggle with. I have always heard the recommended amount of sleep an adult should get each night is 8 hours. Some nights I do get the full 8 hours. Other nights, I am lucky to get 4 hours of rest. I know my sleeping habits are beyond unhealthy. I am currently working to fix my bad habits, and, by doing so, I have never felt better. I cannot stress enough how important it is for all of us to get the right amount of rest each night. If you are anything like me and struggle to get the desired amount of rest needed each night, here are 5 tips that might help you. These simple and helpful suggestions have certainly helped me out.

1. Go to bed early. 

Growing up, my bedtimes ranged from 8:00 to 9:00 p.m. I hated that my mom would force me to go to bed at a decent time. If I am in the bed at 9:00 p.m nowadays, I am jumping for joy (and not ashamed of it).

2. Do NOT take naps in the middle of the day. 

No matter how tired you are feeling, do not take a nap in the afternoon. It is so tempting to come in after a long day and get comfy on your couch or bed. You will feel better if you wait until bedtime to get the rest you deserve.

3. Get rid of any light in your room. 

I was one of those kids who had to keep a small night light on in my room while I was asleep. As I got older, it became difficult for me to fall asleep due to the light in my room. The day I got rid of my night light changed my sleeping pattern for the better. Today, my room is pitch dark when it comes time for me to go to sleep.

4. Avoid any background noises around.

I used to be guilty when it came to me falling asleep with my television on. I used to think the background noise helped me fall asleep. Even though I was falling asleep physically, the extra noise in my room was keeping my mind awake for most of the night.

5. Find a routine that works for you.

Read a book. Write in your journal. Do some stretches. Go to bed and wake up at the same time. These are all simple things you can do to change your bad sleeping habits. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it could possibly change you for the better.