Five Self Care Ideas

Five Self Care Ideas

For when you have a bad day

17
Five Self Care Ideas

Recently, I've started to realize the importance of self care and setting aside time to invest in yourself. Especially as college gets busy, it's important to recognize the impact that stress can have on our body and mental state. There's nothing wrong with canceling plans or not going out so you can spend some time alone to recharge and regroup from a busy day. Today I'm sharing some of my favorite ways to relax on a hectic day.

Get some headspace

I downloaded this app at the beginning of the school year and I use it almost every day. There's a paid version with lots more options, but I just have the free version with a few different meditation walkthroughs. I use either the "basics" section or the "sleepcast" section to help me clear my mind and get to sleep after a busy day. There are so many options: falling asleep, breathing, exercising, calming down, and more.

Workout

Although this may not be everyone's cup of tea, nothing clears my head like a good workout. I love to run, so putting my headphones in and heading out the door always makes me feel better. Even going to a workout class, watching a yoga tutorial video, or lifting light weights can be beneficial! It helps block out all the outside stress and releases endorphins, which help boost your mood. Especially with all the fall foliage right now, a beautiful run is sure to release stress.

Cozy up with a good book

I just love reading. I feel like I don't read enough now that I'm so busy with school books, but if you can take the time to read a book for pleasure in a cozy chair or curled up in bed, you'll feel so much better. Munch on some popcorn and sip a cup of coffee or tea and read a few chapters of a cozy book. My suggestions include: any Harry Potter book, a Sarah Dessen/Morgan Matson book for a good contemporary, or the Hunger Games for some action.

Call a close friend or family member

I feel like I'm texting or snapchatting my friends or family throughout the day, but nothing compares to a good phone call or facetime. Especially as a freshman, it's really easy to get homesick and get caught up in all your schoolwork, but take the time to phone a friend! I love catching up with my best friend from a different college or facetiming my younger brother back at home.

Journal your feelings

Get all your thoughts out on paper, it really makes a difference. Put some chill music on, get your favorite journal and pens, and do a brain dump. Writing out my feelings and really putting them into words makes me feel so much better. It's also really cool to look back on your old thoughts and feelings years later and see how much you've changed. Or you can write a list of things you're grateful for! It always helps put things in perspective. Get creative with it.

Of course, there are dozens more self care ideas out there, but these are easy, quick, and (best of all) free! Don't forget to take time for yourself. After all, our bodies/minds are our homes, we need to treat them well :)