5 Reasons Why I Love Columbus

5 Reasons Why I Love Columbus

Celebrating one of the most underrated cities in America.

6
5 Reasons Why I Love Columbus
Mariah Mills

After being away from Columbus for a little over a week, I was able to go back and spend part of the weekend with a friend. Even in my short time there, I was quickly reminded of all of the things I love about being in Columbus. I'm sure that I could go on and on about the wonderful city, but here are my top five reasons why I love being in the city of Columbus:

1. The coffee shops

If you love yourself a good cup of joe, then Columbus is the place to be. If you're getting tired of your usual Starbucks order (friends don't let friends drink corporate coffee), then with a quick search you'll find a bountiful amount of cozy cafes strewn throughout the city. There is a place for every taste, all of which are welcoming to caffeine amateurs and the most profound of coffee snobs. Ask any avid coffee drinker and I'm sure that they can refer you to their favorite spot. Here are a few of my favorite places to be a typical college student and get coffee while I sit and do my work: Stauf's, Upper Cup, Mission Coffee Co., The Roosevelt Coffeehouse, and Fox in the Snow Cafe.

2. The music scene

If you asked anyone about music in Columbus, I would put money on their first answer being Twenty One Pilots. Don't get me wrong, I love them and have loved them for a long time, but the music scene in Columbus is so much more extensive than people realize. On Saturday, I had the opportunity to watch and talk to bands from all over the country that had gathered at Veritas Community Church for the Steadfast Festival. Whether the bands were local or had driven 20 hours to get there, it was obvious that people recognize that Columbus is an up and coming city for new music. If you search, you will find unique bands of all different genres performing across Columbus. With the shows being $10-$15 a ticket, you could easily see 10 amazing artists, if not more, for the price of going to see One Direction. Not only will you get to hear some amazing music, you'll get to meet some incredibly talented and genuine people. A couple of my favorite local bands include Dave Buker and the Historians and Truslow.

3. The food

You may not be a big coffee or music person, but I don't know if you're human if you're not a foodie. You don't have to be a top notch critic to appreciate the large variety of food places available at your fingertips in Columbus. Walk through the Short North and you'll be greeted with restaurant upon restaurant- just make sure that at least one of the people that you're with isn't indecisive. Looking for a late night snack? Take a quick drive down to High Street and you'll find plenty of options to satisfy your 2 a.m. cravings (you can never go wrong with Buckeye Donuts or Insomnia). Go to Alchemy Juice Bar + Café downtown and you'll instantly feel healthier just by walking through the door, especially after those late night donuts. It doesn't take extensive searching to find something to please even the pickiest of eaters. You will not be disappointed with the cuisine available in Columbus, however, you may want to invest in a gym membership.

4. The focus on community

Throughout the school year, I began to see more and more how community oriented the city of Columbus is. There are constantly different events going on to allow people in the area to enjoy what is available, and to better the city. Earlier in the year a few friends and I stumbled across a block party-esque event through downtown, with local food trucks and different stores and organizations out talking to people and giving away free items. That's just a small taste of all of the awesome things that are constantly going on. One of my goals for the next school year is to be more intentional about finding events like that and knowing when they are going on. It's evident that the entire city is focused on coming together to not only make improvements, but to create a welcoming place for everyone. A few weeks ago there was an event called One Night, in which over 200 churches in the Columbus area came together not only for a worship night, but to come together and make a commitment to no longer be divided, but be united in the common goal of reaching out to impact the community and show others the love of Christ. It may take some searching, but you can find event like these going on throughout the year.

5. The skyline

No, I don't mean the restaurant. It may sound cliché, but I love driving back into Columbus and seeing the skyline. It could be the middle of the day, the sun could be setting, or it could be pitch black outside; no matter the time of day, it's always such an incredible sight to look at. Coming around the curve of the highway, looking up and seeing Nationwide, AEP and the surrounding buildings, I feel at peace. It may not be as expansive or awe-inducing as New York City or Los Angeles, but it's my city. Columbus is my home away from home. And honestly, I wouldn't mind if one day I settled down and officially called it home.