5 Countries Perfect For You To Study Abroad

Study Abroad is an experience no one should pass up.

68
The New York Times

If you are a college student, you have definitely heard about, thought about, or even physically traveled somewhere to study abroad. There are many study abroad opportunities across the globe, and it can get a tad overwhelming, especially when it comes time to narrow down your decision and apply for the programs that seem like they will be a good fit for you. Some of you may even be questioning whether or not you want to study abroad. It’s okay to be unsure, but in the grand scheme of things, studying abroad is an awesome, once in a lifetime experience that I personally believe every college student should experience.

Being a sophomore in college, I understand the increasing pressure of deciding where/whether or not to study abroad. Listed below are study abroad locations where many students have gone in order to gain life experiences and chase educational pursuits within a different culture. Along with the list of these places, I have provided blurbs about the benefits of studying abroad in these locations. These descriptions are meant to help give you a better idea of what studying abroad in these locations might be like.

Spain

From fabulous beaches and parties to amazing hikes and festivals, it doesn’t get much better than studying abroad in Spain. Taking courses ranging from international business to European studies, many students travel abroad here to experience the lush culture and diverse study abroad programs that Spain has to offer. Furthermore, the laid-back, relaxed mentality of Spaniards attracts many people. Siestas, or mid day breaks for a large lunch and nap, are embraced as an accepted part of life in Spain. Soccer, a huge part of Spanish culture, is also a fun aspect of studying abroad in Spain. Whether you’re cheering for Real Madrid or FC Barcelona, you will be bound to have an amazing time experiencing the excitement for this sport in this culture. Finally, Spain’s locale, on the outer edge of Europe, provides for easy transportation to some of Europe’s most coveted destinations. Along with the ease of travel comes the inexpensiveness of travel tickets in the country.

Italy

Great food, awesome language, stunning art, and a vibrant history, aren’t the only perks of studying abroad in Italy. Programs in this country generally blend the study of Italian culture with a variety of courses in different majors ranging from fine arts to business. Heralding some of the oldest universities in the world, Italy was the founder of the Bologna process, which is a standard in higher education that provides a deeper, good quality education for its students. Blue skies adorn most of Italy, as its locale in the Mediterranean gives this country some of Europe’s best weather. Similar to Spain, soccer is an instrumental part of Italian culture, and many Italians tend to be extremely loyal to their soccer teams. Finally, international students looking to study abroad are welcomed warmly by Italian people. If culture shock and homesickness are a worry, it might be easier to look into a place where the locals embrace outsiders rather than isolate them.

France

A dazzlingly beautiful place filled with everything from the lights and romantic atmosphere of Paris to the coastal sun and relaxed nature of the French Riviera. I can say from personal experience, that Paris is a definite must see due to its remarkable cultural sites, amazing cuisine, and interesting way of life. Street vendors fill the streets and wonderful cafes grace every corner, making it easy to get a morning crepe or croissant. As with most European cities, dinner in Paris isn’t eaten until late at night, but the night life is absolutely wonderful. Bistros, brasseries, and restaurants fulfill your eatery desires, while various clubs and bars provide a fun way to escape from your studies (not like you would want to escape from a place like Paris). The beauty of France, however, is its versatility. If you want to get more from a visit to France other than just Paris, there are other beautiful places to visit such as Mont-Saint-Michel, an island off the northern coast of Normandy or Strasbourg, in eastern Alsace-Lorraine. There are a number of French/English speaking study abroad programs in diverse locations ranging from Paris to Avignon, which makes the prospect of studying in France even more feasible for a variety of students.

England

Considering it is one of the most accessible and well known countries, England tends to be a study abroad hotspot. Even though it is easier for most students to transition to studying abroad in England because of the lack of language barriers, it is important to understand that England is still a foreign country with foreign practices. While this may be the case, it is still a place that might be best suited for the faint of heart. If you are ever nervous about being far from home or suffering from culture shock, England might be the choice for you. Fresher's Week, or orientation for international students who are studying in England, involves lots of interesting events, new people, and fun parties. Furthermore, the UK has lots of fun festivals and cultural sites that you can visit in order to get the real British experience. From the Tower of London, to Stonehenge, to the Roman Baths, you will not be disappointed by the interesting cultural background of England. With a rich history and diversity of cultures, languages, and foods, England is sure to keep you excited and occupied throughout your trip. Although it can be a tad pricey and it may not be the ideal geographical traveling hub for getting to different places in Europe, it still is an awesome way to study abroad without having to travel too far away from home.

Australia

Similar to England, traveling to Australia has its perks in that everyone in the country speaks English. However, this nation is not a European destination like the four other study abroad locations I discussed. Located in the Southern Hemisphere, Australia’s December tends to be more reminiscent of a sandy Christmas rather than a white one. If you enjoy warm weather and adventure, then you will definitely adore studying abroad here. The versatility of this location is incredible. You can snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef, explore the urban life of Sydney, or even hike in the Outback. According to Huffington Post, 80% of its plants and animals are found only in Australia. If you desire to obtain a degree in a science field that deals with unique plants or animals, Australia may be the place for you. In addition to this, the surf is amazing, and the beaches are just as wonderful. In fact, Australia is home to some of the oldest humans, which means there are a bunch of cool cultural places you can explore such as interesting caves and rock formations. In terms of your education, Australia has wonderful universities where students can study practically anything. Even though their academic calendar is different and it can conflict with seasonal commitments, venturing to Australia to study abroad is definitely worth it.