It's Okay If Your First Job Out Of School Isn't Related To Your Degree

That doesn't mean you won't end up back to where you originally wanted to be.

52
30 Date Blogs

When beginning college, we all have a plan. We all have this vision of what the next four years will bring and how it will lead us into our adulthood. We all have this vision of conquering our dream job that thousands upon thousands of others also dream of right after graduation.

When reflecting on my four years of college, I have absolutely no regrets. These were some of the best years I could have ever asked for. I wouldn't want to change anything about it between all the ups and downs, the relationships that came and went, all those sleepless nights of constant grind to make sure I land my dream job in sports journalism after graduation.

I knew the job hunt wouldn't be easy, but I didn't realize how hard it would actually be, despite having a stacked resume and strong work ethic.

Believe me, I wasn't naive — I knew my dream job would require years of work and landing interviews alone right out of school wouldn't be easy. Since I'm the type of person that needs to be busy at all times, instead of sitting around waiting for that one opportunity, I decided it was time to try something new and thought "Why not?"

I started applying for jobs in a different realm of communications and found myself applying for jobs in marketing.

I honestly had no clue what I was getting myself into but I was willing to risk making a potential fool of myself at these interviews — and boy, am I glad I took this risk.

I ended up taking a job at a sports marketing firm that that offers various levels of growth opportunity, all while representing professional New York-based sports teams. It's definitely not what I thought my first job out of college would be but that goes to show that not every plan is meant to be followed.

I know people who have studied history only to end up being an entrepreneur, people who've studied marketing only to end up being in real estate, people who've studied advertising only to end up working in editorial, and people who've studied public relations only to end up working in education. They're all happy even though it doesn't match the title of their expensive piece of paper — their diploma.

Life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it.

Take it from me and trust the process by continuing to believe in yourself with a long-term goal in mind, for whatever it is that you want to accomplish in your career — but more importantly, life.

It's definitely a change of pace but instead of taking a mediocre and poor paying entry-level journalism job, I'm working on behalf of professional teams, learning something new every day, traveling, absolutely loving the office atmosphere and the determined people I'm surrounding myself with. On top of everything, I find myself overcoming daily challenges but that's not even the best part of this career path change.

The path I decided to take won't be easy, but it will be worth it which why I'm OK with missing happy hour, visiting my Alma Mater on the weekends, and working long hours, six days a week. As people continue to question and challenge this initial career path change, I simply respond that they're wrong.

I'm not giving up on my dream, I'm just taking a slight detour to pursue an even bigger dream.

I'm on track to reach partnership in the next one to two years and because of that, at the age of 23 or 24, I will be the owner of my own business which is something not many people at those ages can say or even relate to for that matter.

I will be my own boss and thrive as I build my own empire in that very same industry I took that detour from — with the marketing and management skills I'm learning now at that curveball, unexpected job I love and accepted.