To The Other Fellow Broke First Generation College Students, We Got This

You realize that when someone else says "ugh I don't know if I have the money," they still may have, like, hundreds of dollars in their account.

116
Celina Taylor

In a time when it has suddenly become popular to flaunt Mommy and Daddy's income, with articles honoring purchases of extremely expensive festival tickets, to how "horrible" it was to be teased in high school after your parents purchased you almost "too" nice of a car, it can seem as though we are even more lost in the mix than usual.

I'm here to say... I understand!

I understand the moments where you try so hard to fit in. Do you buy one drink, decide whether to state you just, literally do not have the money, not attend at all, or promise you are not hungry when a friend's birthday is set at a fun restaurant? Those frozen chicken breasts in the freezer can't go to waste, can they?

You realize that when someone else says "ugh I don't know if I have the money", they still may have, like, hundreds of dollars in their account. You have $5.00, and your parents, honestly, may not have any more to give you.

I understand deciding whether to pass that test or to go to work for eight hours in order to have money the next time the electric bill is a little extra. I understand when your financial aid takes longer than usual this term, and you literally cannot purchase your books yet. I understand the set back that happens and the way that you have to humble yourself and explain your situation to professors.

You may be entering your freshman year, completely new to this world, and when that financial aid refund hits, you may not know how to interact with such a large sum of money.

You may be a senior, reminding yourself you are so close and you have worked harder than most around you. There were some terms working 40 hours a week, making it literally impossible to study, read, or do math problems as often as you are supposed to.

I understand. I am here to say that it is worth it.

Maybe your parents have no idea how to deal with this thing called college either. Find an advisor and ask every question possible, they are actually working for you and they want to help.

Pay all of your rent in advance. Buy a month's worth of food. Then, maybe buy that new pair of shoes.

People will assume you are not struggling, people will flaunt what their mom and dad have given them. People will not know what it is like to be you.

Push. Through.