​Finding Spirituality in Today’s World

We don’t have enough time to decompress and emotionally comprehend things enough in our everyday life. We finish one task and move onto another. We are constantly planning for the future that we forget to live in the moment. On a daily, we have to complete demands and pressures and fulfill those responsibilities. At some point, we break down and we can no longer carry everything so neatly. This is when we desperately need to find our inner zen and let go of negative thoughts. We have been paying too much attention to the material world, that our soul is calling to be nurtured. We begin to question if we are living our life to the fullest potential. One thing that we all have in common is that we seek to find an inner balance and want to live with purpose.

There are many methods and practices for obtaining a higher level of spirituality. There are retreats to go to, energy stones we can carry, temples we can pray in, and week long silence retreats to find out more about who we are. Whatever it may be, these spiritual practices can guide us towards living a more fulfilling life.

It’s important that we make time to really commit and make time to give ourselves and bodies relaxation and tranquility. If we don't make give ourselves time, it can be harmful to our minds and bodies and produce negative effects in our lives.

What are the different ways we can begin to address our spiritual needs?

Life can be chaotic, and we struggle to find balance with the material and spiritual world. Some of us look for a way to lessen the load we feel that burden us. Others ignore it until feeling a breakdown and hitting rock bottom. It is better not to wait until this happens and address the pains, anxiety, grief and nuisances that we may feel.

There are places we can travel to experience meaningful vacations. Places for meditation like the ashrams of India, and quieter vacations like retreats, ideal for those who can travel. These are places that quiet the mind. Some people need to remove themselves from all distractions seek refuge.

We are always looking for spiritual healing and other times for a spiritual uplifting. We can do this by listening to music we like, by lighting a candle in silence and thinking positive thoughts. We have all developed these coping mechanisms that calm our souls and gives us a bit of relief. Many can also find comfort in nature. Nature can be a refuge and a place where it can feel safe to reflect and find peace. It is somewhere where you can take a break from the carnal world.

If you have the opportunity to travel, here are some of the world’s most highly regarded spiritual places to visit. The top eight places are the Ganges River, Tibet, Mecca, Assisi, Jerusalem, Machu Picchu, Rumi’s Tomb, and Bodh Gaya.

Bodh Gaya- where Buddha once meditated.

Modern Day Mindfulness

There are practices that are a growing trend and lifestyle called mindful living. Even schools are implementing mindfulness in the classroom because it has cognitive and social benefits for children. Mindful living is about making us aware of our surroundings and being in the “now”. There are ways to be mindful through exercises, eating, meditation and art. There are so many ways to go about to find your inner zen. Everyone should have a place to retreat to and practices because the material world cannot give us everything we need. Humans from thousands of years ago sought spirituality and humanity still continues seeking this balance today.