The Best People Are Your People
Politics

Your People Are Important

Find them, and don't let them go.

207
Your People Are Important
Personal Photo

Finding your peace is finding your people.

For so long, feeling like I belonged somewhere was something I would do anything for. I tried joining different sports teams, different clubs at school, and made quick friendships based off of superficial ideas of what I found "desirable". I was a victim of the systematic intimidation of what society viewed as desirable and I made myself miserable trying to achieve it. It was never going to happen.

Why?

Because you are never going to be happy if you live your life trying to please others. When you surround yourself with superficial people who hold a strong conviction in these standards, you will destroy yourself in every conversation you have with them. That's why it is so important to find yourself, and then find your people.

Finding yourself takes quite a bit of time. But once you have finally realized that you are here on this Earth to make you happy first for the things YOU find desirable, you find the people that fit in your life like missing puzzle pieces. You will find the people who get excited about the same things you enjoy. You will find people who want to go on crazy adventures with you. You will find the people that can sit down after all of this, and talk to you about life and it's ups and downs.

It sounds so generic, but having a good group of genuine friends is so beneficial to one's mental health. Being able to express who you really are with a group of people who hold similar interests and convictions is the best feeling in the world. Quit forcing relationships with people who you don't connect with for the sake of what is made standard by society. Find your people and love them hard.