Looking for Love in College
relationships

The Struggle Of Trying To Find A Boyfriend In College Is REAL

Being a hopeless romantic, I've always loved the idea of having a person in my life who loves me for who I am and just wants to spend time with me and make each other happy. But let's talk about why it's so hard to find a significant other in college!

1409
https://www.pexels.com/photo/close-up-photo-of-woman-hugging-a-guy-1139037/
Destiny Rasmussen

Being in college is a struggle within itself when it comes to having to balance schoolwork, meeting with your professors, being involved on campus and trying to maintain a social life. But being in college is also difficult when it comes down to the time where we want to find someone to start a relationship with that doesn't just want a casual hookup.

I understand completely that people have different preferences for as to what they are looking for in a significant other in certain points of their life, but a simple hookup will never be something that I am ever interested in. I am currently a senior in college and getting ready to graduate this December and start getting my life together in a career and relationship aspect. Things that I look for in a future significant other is that they are actually doing something with their life career-wise, whether it's that they are still attending college and plan on graduating or they are graduated and have a career made for themselves. There's truly nothing more attractive than a guy that is goal motivated and strives to better himself each and every day. Years from now, most of us will be heading towards the path of marriage and starting a family, so having a guy that knows what he wants his future to consist of is truly the best quality.

Growing up, I never understood nor liked the idea of a one-night-stand or hookups in general. When I have feelings for a guy, there is no such thing as "I sort of like him." There truly is no in-between with me, if I like you I will put every ounce of effort that I have towards letting you know that I care about you a lot and will do anything to make you happy. I have always felt that in order to develop a sexual relationship with someone, there needs to be an emotional connection to that person. It can't just simply be that I saw this guy at a bar and thought he was cute so I decided to take him home for the night and never talk to him again. I have heard too many stories of girls giving up their virginities to a guy that promises that they don't see them just like a one-night stand and that they would still talk and possibly start a relationship. In the end, the girl ends up beating herself up over the thought that she gave away something that can never be taken back and was left feeling lied to by a guy that meant a lot to her.

If it was up to me, my idea of a relationship in college would consist of being able to hang out with my boyfriend's friends and vice versa for him to be able to hang out with my friends which would help to lessen the chance of there being an argument that I don't hang out with my friends enough since I am in a relationship. But unfortunately, in today's society, some guys will think that their friend is "whipped" if he hangs out with his girlfriend too much or brings her around his friends. If a boyfriend brings his girlfriend around his friends, it's definitely a great sign in their relationship because you want the person you are in a relationship to get along with your closest friends.

I just wish that in college it wasn't considered a bad thing to want to hang out with your girlfriend more often than the usual couple does and more importantly I wish that relationships were based on more of an emotional connection besides a physical attraction such as a person's looks or sex. College is supposed to be the best times of our lives, and the last thing that a person should have to worry about is a person walking out of our lives after going to a certain level with them physically and emotionally.