5 Things Just As Important As Studying During Finals Week
College

Things you shouldn't push aside during the chaos of finals week.

30
Photo by Elijah Hail on Unsplash

Every year during finals, you begin to see college students crashing. Hours of studying, endless amounts of caffeine, and very little to no real meals, can leave a person ending the semester sick and exhausted. To avoid this crash, it is important to take small steps throughout your study sessions to not only keep up your physical health but your mental health as well. Here are just a few things that you should never push aside during finals week.

1. Water

During finals week, we all have a tendency to drink a little more caffeine than our bodies can handle. In reality, this can actually make you feel more unfocused, exhausted, and can lead to increased anxiousness and stress, as the caffeine may send your body into what some know as the "caffeine jitters." Make sure that for every cup of coffee you drink, you are consuming at least 2 cups of water.

2. Sleep

When I was growing up, I would do what every student has done at least once in their life. I would procrastinate, wait until the last day to study, and then study all night and go into the test not having slept. DO NOT DO THIS. Studies show that sleeping at least 7 hours every night for the few days leading up to the exam increase performance on the exam. I understand that finals week is stressful, and I like anyone else feel like sleeping is a waste of prime study time. Not sleeping can increase stress and cause you to retain less information. So please, sleep.

3. Food

This finals week, make yourself a promise that you will give yourself at least one meal a day to stop studying, breath, relax, and just enjoy food. If you are a morning person, wake up, make yourself some delicious breakfast, a warm cup of coffee or tea, get dressed, and then study. A night person, treat yourself to your favorite dinner after being out studying all day. Coffee is not a diet. Sorry guys.

4. Shower

There is nothing quite like the feeling of a warm shower after a long day. Take at least 10-15 minutes after your study sessions to practice some self-care. Put on a face mask, take a bath, put on some sweatpants, and relax. It will help you feel relaxed and refreshed for another day of studying or for your exam.

5. Family and Friends

Finals are stressful. Spending time in the library can make you go crazy if you go too long without human interaction. Take a few minutes every hour or so and text your friends or your family. Get a group together to study, call your best friends or your parents. Just remind people that you love them, and let them remind you that they love you too. *Insert aaawweee*