The Struggles Of Finals And Illness... At the Same Time

How will I go on?

20
The Little Mermaid goes to Disney

I celebrated my 20th birthday on Friday, April 29. During the midst of going to classes, trying to convince my parents to let me go to the Pirates game, and ending up going to a dance showcase, I felt something wasn’t right. The next day, I had a constant lump in my throat -- the back of my throat felt similar to sandpaper when I coughed or cleared it -- and it was somewhat hard for me to swallow due to that lump in my throat. Also because of it, it made a relatively short climb up the 48 steps right next to the library practically a death sentence due to my having to breath out of my mouth when I’m out of breath, but that lump was blocking airflow somewhat. Thank God, I could still breath.

The day after that, Sunday, May 1, the unwanted happened. I lost my voice. Again. I lost my voice once before that I remember, but that was right after Greek recruitment week, due to all the loud music and me having to raise my voice for anybody to hear me. This time doesn’t seem to have a good reason. By the end of the day, I could raise my voice to a half-yell before my voice would crack, but this morning, Monday, May 2, I started at the bottom of wellness regarding my voice. And it couldn’t have come at the worst possible time.

As I write this on Monday, May 2 I’m praying I get my voice back by 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, May 4 -- the time of my Spanish oral exam. Still, I do not like being sick whenever I have tests, whether they be academic, medical, or whatever type. If I’m sick around the time of an academic test, I feel like crap the morning of the test, and my thinking is screwed up. If I’m sick and need a medical test, I especially dread needles.

I had asthma as a kid, which made it nearly impossible for me to get a vaccination through a nasal mist, so I always had to get the shots. Now, my asthma isn’t very prominent, if I have it at all, but my parents still feel it would be best if I got the shots. My tests to get my driver’s license were especially tricky. I was sick during that time, and it messed up my maneuverability the first time, and I barely passed the driving at all.

If I were at home, I would beg my parents to let me stay home for as long as needed. But with finals right around the corner, that is the last thing I should do. Medicine doesn’t seem to be working, prescription or over the counter. I hate doing sinus rinses. I don’t like drinking water. Now, I’m seriously contemplating if I should go straight home after my final final exam of the semester, and skip seeing my suite mate and the Phi Mu seniors graduate this semester, just to make sure I’m not sick once I start my job for this summer.

Ach, tu liber