Positivity Challenge Week Four: You Are Made For More

Nothing happens overnight, but when things change, you'll know.
15

Week four has come and gone. It’s hard to believe my positivity challenge is complete. Let’s face it, though: the challenge doesn’t end. The point of the challenge wasn’t to just get to the end; it was to learn more about ways I could pull myself out of depressive episodes and reframe my thoughts. I won’t say I’m 100 percent better because I think I still have plenty to work on, but I have definitely noticed a change in the way I view things.

How did it go?

The final week of my challenge was eventful and a little like a rollercoaster as far as my emotions go. But I noticed that, while I did struggle, it became easier to pull myself out of a depressive haze on most days.

Because I was able to reframe my thoughts, I noticed that not only did I not sink as low, but I also seemed to have more support from those closest to me. The interesting thing here is I don’t think I ever didn’t have that support; I think I missed it because I couldn’t get out of my own head long enough to see how others support me, my commitments and my desires.

It’s amazing what we can miss when we stay in our negativity bubble.

What did I learn?

One Bible verse, in particular, stuck with me this week:

So Jesus said to them, “Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.Matthew 17:20 (NKJV)

Everything in week four seemed to point to this verse and having “small faith,” from the baseball game I went to that experienced an end-of-game comeback to staying committed to what God has called us to.

One of the biggest things I realized is that sometimes “staying committed” even means staying committed to continuing to try, whatever that may mean for you or your situation.

Yes, it can be difficult. You’re going to have people who tell you to give up, that your hope or dream will never come to pass. Heck, in your darkest moments, you may even tell yourself that very thing (often we are our own worst enemy).

But, I’m here to tell you to keep trying, keep persevering. Remember there are people who are there for you, who have faith that all the promises you have heard and kept in your heart will come to pass. God keeps His promises to us.

I’m not saying this as someone whose prayers have all been answered, whose life is perfect. I still have unanswered prayers, but I am confident that my God is simply telling me “not yet.” Because good things have already begun, and they are things I feel God has been speaking to me about for a while.

I say this from a place of committing to my small faith and committing to growing in my faith.

The “official” 30-day challenge may be over, but I am committed to continue to learn and work to create positivity. I will continue the mindfulness practice that started this journey because I am committed to bettering myself.

And, really, that’s what this challenge was about.

Positivity isn’t something that will happen overnight. It will take practice, mindfulness. And you may not see “immediate results.” But I’m here to encourage you to commit and have small faith. If something has been placed in your heart, don’t give up.

If there’s anything I’ve learned over the course of these 30 days, it’s that the way we think about things affects the way we talk about things, which then affects our reality. Don’t let poisonous thoughts affect your heart.

I promise: you are made for more. In time, you’ll see.