5th year senior

6 Realizations You've Probably Had As A 5th Year Senior

Because what's one more year?

211

Whether it was because you flunked a couple of classes or transferred school twice, it is totally okay to be a fifth-year senior. For me, it was because I transferred from EKU to JCTC, then transferring again to UK after graduating from JCTC. Another reason why I am a fifth-year senior is that I had to switch my area of study on my major from broadcast journalism to print journalism.

Whatever your reasons are for taking longer in college than normal, I just wanted to let you know it is okay. I'm sure my fellow fifth-year seniors can surely relate to these six points.

1. You are the only senior in a class full of freshmen

slam head on desk

I took a freshman level theatre class last semester and because I was one of the oldest people, it felt weird. But when I started here at U.K., different kinds of seniors (senior citizens) were in my Spanish classes. Muy Viejo!

2. Senioritis is the most intense

seniors

Seriously, can I just graduate already, get myself a big boy job, and live happily ever after? I am literally counting down the days until graduation.

3. The triumphant feeling of being a professional college student

high school musical

I proclaim myself the professional college student. I wear sweatpants a lot, I B.S. on papers, and I run on coffee, food, and little sleep. There is a certain finesse you have to have to be a true authentic college student and pass all of your classes.

4. The realization that as you advance in your college years, classes get harder

books

Seriously, if a freshman took these classes that I have right now, they would run out of the classroom crying. I have to pull story ideas out of my head from nothing and make them sing. It is not always easy to do. It takes a certain art of "bullcrapping" to pull them off. My classes are so hard right now, I just want to scream loudly.

5. The end is close ahead, but this is a marathon, not a race.

running

I can see the end of my college career. It is right there in front of me. I just need the strength, determination, and perseverance to endure the remaining obstacles of college to get across the finish line (aka the stage at graduation).

6. One more year of college and the absence of pressure to pay my student loans

experience

A perk of being in college for one more year is not having the pressure of paying off my student loans on my shoulders. I also get to spend more time with my bros and my other friends. Can you say hallelujah?