A Few Good Things About Growing Up

A Few Good Things About Growing Up

You always want to grow up and then when you are grown up it is too late to go back.

1821
A Few Good Things About Growing Up
unsplash

Everyone is too busy stressing to stop and take in all the learning experiences. Sit and think about how you have grown in the past few years; from high school to now; from your very first job in fast food to now. You have learned so many lessons and have had so many opportunities. Time is flying, and you are forgetting to stop and smell the roses.

You realize who your real friends are. As you grow up you've been through so many friendships and have experienced some of the worst and the best memories with the people around you. Growing up is great because you start to realize what you can tolerate when it comes to friendships and relationships in general. I have learned that some of the people I have known for the longest don't even really know me and I am okay with that. I have friends that I talk to a few times a year and they are the first to send condolences my way and show up for support. This is the best feeling, when you are adult enough to realize what a healthy relationship is, you can sit and cherish the good ones and learn from the bad ones.

It's OK to make mistakes. The world around you is aware you are growing and they are okay with the fact that mistakes and accidents happen. You are growing and your peers are willing to help you because they have either been through this before already or are just willing to be a part of your growing process. Sure some work environments might not take it as easily as others if something goes wrong, but now is the prime time to be okay with yourself and face the fact that you are still learning.

It's still OK to ask for help. Put your pride aside and ask for help. It is never easy especially if you aren't that person who feels comfortable asking for help, but it is important to understand that it is still acceptable. We live and we learn and asking for help is all a part of learning. I think the best part of my college career is having the ability to stop and ask for help while it is still readily available.

Responsibility isn't all that bad. When your college or car bill comes in the mail and all the responsibility hits it feels like a slap in the face. Some months you struggle more than others. But it is oddly satisfying to walk into your own house and have your own furniture and have to work for everything you have. I think this is so satisfying for me because growing up at a young age, I was taught that having responsibility is so important and now I am grateful for realizing that at a young age, and it has really paid off for me. Hell yeah, I still call home for cooking tips and go home to do my laundry, but gradually, earning more responsibility in my jobs and in real life is really a great aspect of growing up when you can out weigh the bad with the good.

Your mind and perspectives are changing. I am a lover of change. I am constantly cutting my hair, getting new ink or tattoos because my body is always itching for a change. Your mind is growing up and you are looking at people, politics, and the world in general with a whole new perspective. You are being exposed to new things constantly and feeling out what you like and what you don't. You are stepping outside of your comfort zone and initiating more conversations as well as freeing your mind to whatever could come your way. Maybe you weren't so fond of commuting to work, but your perspective changed and you are now realizing how much money you will save and all of the people-watching and connecting you can do on the train from that 30 minute commute. You are maturing and expanding your mind to things you may not have been comfortable with before.

You have to learn to care more about yourself. Lastly, you are obligated to learn more about yourself simply due to the fact that you are probably alone with your thoughts more now that you have ever been. Whether that is writing papers or editing for that big radio station or just spending an hour each day alone at the gym. You can't escape your body or feelings and this can lead you to learn about your body, mind, and health. You learn to treat yourself more in healthy ways such as binge-watching "How To Get Away With Murder" and eating a tub of ice cream, or just escaping work each day for 30 minutes to do yoga, or even setting time aside each week to write because it clears your mind and makes you feel free. Growing up is an important part to keeping your body happy and healthy. You have experienced X amount of years living in your body and you are learning how to make time for yourself to keep a clear mental state.

As much as it is OK to stress and get things done, it is as equally important to focus on the good aspects of growing up. You always want to grow up and then when you are grown up it is too late to go back. Enjoy growing up because you only get one shot at it.