I Have Very Few Real Friends As An Adult, And That's OK

I Only Have A Few Real Friends As An Adult, And That’s OK

And I'm not talking basic acquaintances here; I mean real, genuine friends who you would call on to help you move into your new pad.

228
https://unsplash.com/photos/PGnqT0rXWLs

Have you ever wondered if you're a freak or something is wrong with you because you have very little to no friends as an adult? And I'm not talking basic acquaintances here; I mean real, genuine friends who you would call on to help you move into your new pad. If so, read on to learn about why it's OK to not have a ton of real friends as an adult, especially after college.

After you graduate college (if you do go, that is), making new friends as an adult becomes a tricky terrain to navigate. With fellow peers and everyone you know going through life stages such as marriage, having families, or starting careers, it seems like nobody has much time to just sit down and make a new friend. It's hard to fault anyone on this either; the notion of making friends tends to fall to the back burner.

As an introvert who's also awkward in nearly every social situation, it's always been pretty hard for me to make friends. As an adult, not much has changed from childhood. Completely independent of Greek life, I can count all of the real friends I have now on one hand. If you're lucky, you can probably count them all on two.

Aside from the above, I've recently realized that the older you get, the more you realize people, in general, are garbage. With numerous jerks of all kinds running around, I wouldn't even blame the next person if they didn't have many (or ANY) friends.

The bottom line: Don't sweat it if you only have three close friends or just one, or even none at all. Remember that at the end of the day, it's better to be alone than in bad company and it's way better to have a few close friends in your posse than a bunch of acquaintances who probably wouldn't save you if you were trapped in quicksand.