Being A Feminist Does Not Make Me A Man-Hating Extremist
Feminism

We're fighting for equality, not superiority.

49
womens march protesters with signs

When the word "feminist" comes up in conversation, more often than not, it is accompanied by groans and eye rolls. It's no secret — there are a lot of people out there that are not fond of feminists.

I read an article the other day, written by a girl, that stated she would not associate herself with that dreaded f-word. She said that physically women and men are not the same, thus the two sexes can never truly be equal. Now, I took an anatomy class, I know we're physically different. I know that our pelvises are wider than those of men and that both brains respond to situations in different ways based off of ingrained chemical reactions. However, that doesn't mean we can't fight for at least some level of equality.

Honestly, that makes girls sort-of badass for working so hard to be equal to the sex that is supposed to be genetically stronger than us. We aren't afraid to take on a challenge. But, regardless of this, why shouldn't we be considered equal in ways other than physicalities?

In the early 1900s, what if women simply settled for not having voting rights? If no one ever decided to fight for those rights, then we would not be where we are today. Women have come an incredibly long way in society, and that's why I am not ashamed to call myself a feminist.

Now, considering myself a feminist does not automatically make me an extremist. I do not think women should be superior to men — I think we should be at the same playing ground. Feminism is not trying to "victimize oneself" or picking fights with those that do not hold the same beliefs. Feminism is standing up for yourself and working together, in harmony, to achieve equality.

Obviously, we cannot survive without both sexes, so no, I don't want girls to rule the world. I simply want women to be proud of all that we have accomplished, and to not settle for anything less than equal.