Women Are Joining Forces To Fight Against Femicide In Turkey—And How You Can Help Too

Women supporting women like never before — challenge accepted!

63

In recent news, women in Turkey have had enough with the multiple domestic violence cases that have been occurring throughout their country. More than 400 women were brutally murdered in the past year, and numbers are said to continue to grow. Femicide is a term to describe the profusion of abused and murdered women by those being their relatives or partner.

And so, without the needed help from the government, women are taking a stand and taking part in rallies, petitions, and a trending Instagram challenge to shake the world.

1. Rallies & Marches: Taking It To The Streets

In the last couple of years, women in Turkey have been taking their stand and bringing it to the streets. With thousands of them marching together with cutout boards, flags, and vibrant posters, they are doing whatever they can in riling up the government. Women are dedicating these as a tribute to those who have passed because of the unlawfulness of the government. And they are not taking "no" for an answer.

2. Signing for a Cause

Unsplash

Petitions are also starting to gain the attention of supporters, especially because of the recent brutality that has been erupting in recent years. Change has been made possible and voices have been heard. As a way to represent people, people can sign a petition to help those causes. And a petition, found on change.org, for Turkey has also been made in demands towards Turkish President Erdoğan, to take the necessary steps to repeal violent and abusive laws in the country.

3. The Instagram Challenge

A few of the names of women who have lost there lives because of domestic violence.

Instagram

Lastly, a new Instagram challenge has taken the storm of women empowerment. In the past week, women have been joining in this act by posting a black and white photo of themselves using the hashtag #WomenSupportingWomen and writing "challenge accepted" as the caption. Then, tagging other women to keep the chain going and spreading love along the way.

I, too, have joined in signing the Change.org petition and in spreading awareness through the Instagram challenge and other social media platforms. It has taken me a while to learn about this matter, but afterward, I have gained a new perspective on all the things happening in the world today. I believe that change needs to happen. Everything right and true must come into the light and be known. So, let's take a chance, join forces, and let our voices be heard!