#FeelingtheBurn: How to Stay Safe in the Sun This Summer

Sunscreen is your new BFF.

7

What an eventful summer we have on our hands: an upcoming political election, the Olympics, and one of the hottest predicted summers on record. With everything going on, you’re going to be outside a LOT. From backyard barbecues to taking a dip in the pool, to hiking mountains on vacation, to say it simply, EVERYTHING requires sunscreen. As temperatures rise and our TSO (time spent outdoors) rises, we can’t let skin protection fall by the wayside. Take it from someone who loves being in the sun; there are ways to enjoy the weather and the magic of summer without putting your health at risk of skin cancer or general skin damage. Everyone loves a good summer tan, but just remember all the bad things that can come out of getting too much sun. Have fun and be safe following these guidelines.

1. Wear sunscreen all the time, even if it’s cloudy.

It’s tricky because cloudy weather seems harmless, but just like being on the ski slopes, the clouds reflect the sun (like the snow), causing you to burn a lot more than you think you would, especially if you’re not wearing sunscreen. I wear sunscreen under my makeup every day, and it doesn’t put back my schedule or bother my routine one bit. Try to add it to yours every day over the summer! When applying, don’t forget random spots like your knees, the back of your neck, your feet, and where your arm meets your torso below the shoulder (that pesky spot!).

2. Wear a hat.

Your ears, face, and neck are three of the most delicate places on your body that are severely affected by the sun. Burns on the neck and face age a person greatly, causing wrinkles and spotting. Take care of the moneymaker by wearing a hat if you’re doing physical activity outside.

3. Remember the prime sunny times.

Especially if you’re in an extremely hot, sunny environment (*cough* Houston), there are times of the day when no one should be outside, no matter what. The prime time for extreme sun exposure is from about 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. This doesn’t mean that the sun is super safe and welcoming at other times of the day, but these hours are generally when the sun exposure is most extreme. When I’m at the beach, this time of the day becomes “movie time” or “ice cream time” or “whatever my heart desires that is an inside activity” time. Make it yours, too.

4. Reapply!

So maybe you already wear sunscreen fairly regularly. What really gets people on long days outside, though, is the reapplication stage. Hats off (not really, see #2) to you if you put sunscreen on, but if you go in the water (ocean or pool) or sweat a lot, or are just sitting outside for an extended period of time, your sunscreen will rub off. It’s important to put more on after a while or if you think it has come off. It takes about two minutes to do and is worth it.

5. Don’t forget your eyes.

Most people wear sunglasses if it’s sunny (or even just for “cool” factor), but it’s actually really important to protect our eyes. They can get burned too! You may have really fun sunglasses, but if they don’t have UVA/UVB protection, they’re not really doing anything for you except possibly making you look douchey, depending on the style. Take heed.

6. Drink lots of water.

This has more to do with staying hydrated, but when the temperatures rise, it’s really easy to get dehydrated and stay out too long in the sun. Being in the sun is very energy-draining, and a lack of water will have your body feeling tired and unable to move out of the sun at a time when it needs to be getting rest. A perfect excuse to take a summer cat nap in the shade.

These may seem obvious, but every year the number of people with skin cancer rises due to people not following simple advice. It takes only a few bad sunburns as a child or young adult to set yourself up for skin cancer. Spend as much time as you can outside hanging out with people and going on adventures, but for your own sake, take care of yourself and follow the necessary precautions when spending time outside. A fairly good tan isn’t worth the scars of skin cancer. For now, though, have fun and HAGS!