My Favorite Packing Tips and Tricks

My Favorite Packing Tips and Tricks

With holiday travel season in full swing, it's important to stay organized and to pack smartly.

20
My Favorite Packing Tips and Tricks

The first tip I always follow is to make a list. I like to make a chart of the days I will be away on my trip and plan out my clothing to the day. This makes for an easier way to keep track of what clothes I need to have and it also makes the days on vacation easier. I usually keep the list on my phone in my notes so I can reference it and see what outfit I planned for the according day. Not only does this help with clothes but also with toiletries, chargers, and medicines/vitamins. I always double check the list as I'm packing to make sure everything I need is there.

To tie in with clothing, I always try and pack items I can wear a few times on the trip. Sweaters, jeans and leggings I usually get a few wears out of. I try to pack more basic colors or patterns so I can mix and match easily with other items. This way I am not packing more clothing than I really need, and I can be sure I won't be over any weight or luggage size limits. ALWAYS ROLL YOUR CLOTHES INSTEAD OF FOLDING!

I like to always try to bring a larger personal item on the plane with me. My backpack is my definite go to in this situation. I've had the same one for over 10 years now and it has served me well in multiple international trips (thanks L.L. Bean). Having a larger personal item that still stores easily under your seat is great for utilizing space and being able to have the items you need the most on you at all times.

Speaking of necessary items, it is crucial you keep your passport/identification, wallet, jewelry and electronics inside your personal item or carry on. These items are hard to replace if your checked luggage is lost or doesn't make it to the same destination with you on time. I also like to keep a small tube of toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, underwear, and my contact lens case with my glasses on me at all times as well. You never know if you will be stranded in an airport without access to your checked luggage, those few small things can make a disastrous situation a little easier.

I try to wear my bulkier items on to the plane with me. For example, if I have a heavier sweater/sweatshirt and a larger pair of shoes/boots, that will factor into what I wear onto the plane. I try to keep these bigger items out of my luggage as to free up space and make them lighter. It may feel weird to bundle up that much on the plane, but I always end up cold on planes so an extra sweatshirt is definitely welcome.

Lastly always pack a little extra. I know I've said that I like to minimize what I bring, but by doing this you can bring extra items. Socks, underwear, a sweatshirt, and a few extra shirts of varying sleeve length. You'd be surprised at how handy these extra few things can be.

Those are my favorite packing tips, feel free to leave yours in the comments below! Let's all make holiday travel season a bit easier for each other.